Missing Hiker--Have you seen this person (Resolved)

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
SEKI Public Affairs
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Missing Hiker--Have you seen this person

Post by SEKI Public Affairs »

Thank you for helping us get the word out, everyone. Most appreciated!

And, thank you to the person who cross-posted the ABC30 story. Yes, Gregg Hein has been found!

For additional details, visit Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks' news releases page at:

http://www.nps.gov/seki/parknews/newsreleases.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

Great news!
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Outstanding work by the SAR teams.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Great news. =D>
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Yes this is great news and another great job by the SAR folks.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I wonder just what type of details his family had regarding his plans other than trailhead and planned destination.

I'm appreciating the reconn form even more now.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

Awesome news :D

Texan
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

Jimr wrote:I wonder just what type of details his family had regarding his plans other than trailhead and planned destination.

I'm appreciating the reconn form even more now.
A story just ran on this in the Fresno Bee. Apparently they had little to go on other than the objective (Mt Goddard), the duration of the trip, and the trailhead. For that reason the initial search area was very broad, but the early (in the search) check of the Goddard summit register and finding of his signature surely narrowed things quite a bit. If I read the story correctly, he was descending Goddard after summiting, then had a foothold give way or talus shift on him and, during the fall, a large rock hit and broke his leg (compound fracture). According to his account, the resultant rockfall was a really large one with a lot of stuff coming down and he ended up sliding down snow for some distance, apparently as a part of an effort to escape the barrage. He then crawled to the shore of Davis Lake. The description, and his ending up at Davis Lake, suggests he was descending the standard Starr route on Goddard or something close to it.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I suspected they had only the elementary information. Wow, he must have spent 5 or so days with that fracture. Must have been excruciatingly painful. Good thing he was able to crawl to a water source. Wonder if he used the lake to ice down his leg and help numb the pain a bit.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

As referenced above, the Bee's story:

Clovis hiker's harrowing ordeal in high Sierra told

http://www.fresnobee.com/2014/07/11/402 ... 217/&ihp=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;