Missing Hiker--Have you seen this person (Resolved)

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Missing Hiker--Have you seen this person

Post by kpeter »

What a story of human perseverance. And best wishes to Gregory and the Hein family as they start what could be a difficult rehab.

What stunning good fortune that the search and rescue landed 50 feet from him even though they had not spotted him--by pure chance. I'm still trying to fathom that. Wow.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

One of the times a spot locator or similar device would have been helpful.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
SweetSierra
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by SweetSierra »

It's amazing that he had the strength to preserver after the fall. And that shock didn't set in. I don't know how much control a person has over shock. But he kept his head and calmed himself even with all of that pain. So glad for a good outcome.
Last edited by SweetSierra on Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

oldranger wrote:One of the times a spot locator or similar device would have been helpful.

Mike
You are right old ranger he should have had a spot locator. I could have used a long time when I hurt my knee hking alone but they weren't available then. I hurt my knee so bad I could hardly walk. but luckily I made it out barely.

Texan
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

texan wrote:
oldranger wrote:One of the times a spot locator or similar device would have been helpful.

Mike
You are right old ranger he should have had a spot locator. I could have used a long time when I hurt my knee hking alone but they weren't available then. I hurt my knee so bad I could hardly walk. but luckily I made it out barely.

Texan
I prefer a PLB.

And electronics are no substitute for leaving an itinerary with someone. They fail, they fall into boulders, they may even look like they are working and not work.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

AT wrote:
And electronics are no substitute for leaving an itinerary with someone. They fail, they
fall into boulders, they may even look like they are working and not work.
Exactly, which is why everyone should consider using the ReConn Form or at least leave
an itinerary at home as a back-up.
All these electronic devices are antenna based, and require a line of site to one of their
satellites, if your injured in a narrow canyon or heavily wooded area you may have a
problem, if you cannot reach the device because you have injured your back or leg and
your pack is on a ledge 20 yards beneath you, or if you have suffered a heart attack or
stroke, then none of these devices will be able to help you contact SAR unfortunately
because all of them need you to have the ability to activate them.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

we probably don't need to debate this again on this thread.

Glad he was found. A compound fracture must not be fun.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

I'm glad this one turned out positive. I hope he keeps the leg. Sounds like a man that has a lot to offer.

Hint: don't read the comments by Tom in the linked Fresno Bee article.
Last edited by FeetFirst on Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I read that jackwad's comments over the weekend. The same type of comments were posted by some jackwad when my story was reported. I wrote a whole counter-response aimed at him, but I don't have a facebook account and was not about to make one just to reply to idiocy.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rpb
Topix Novice

Post by rpb »

Glad to see him safe. I did a 5 day trip up in the Sierra's recently and I could only imagine what was going through his head for 6 long days. MSNBC has a small story on him if anyone is interested.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/res ... ys-n157481" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;