First Overnight Backpacking Trip (Desolation Wilderness)

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
quasi888
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

First Overnight Backpacking Trip (Desolation Wilderness)

Post by quasi888 »

Hi HSTers,

My 11 y/o son and I will be doing our first overnight backpacking trip near the end of this month, in Desolation Wilderness.

My wife will be dropping us off at the Glen Alpine trailhead (near Fallen Leaf Lake). I chose Susie Lake as our destination when I reserved the permit, due to close proximity, as well as fishing opportunity.

A few questions, as the trip is drawing closer:

- I was planning on using my 4-person REI Half Dome 4 tent -- fotoprint is about 94x86. I know it's on the larger size for a backpacking tent. Are there enough fairly flat areas around Lake Susie that could accommodate a tent of this size?

- Should I be concerned about mosquities at this time of year?

- Gilmore Lake is also an option for fishing. Is that area better for camping spots?

Thanks in advance!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: First Overnight Backpacking Trip (Desolation Wilderness)

Post by maverick »

Hi Quasi888,

Welcome to HST!
Yes, there are plenty of campsites to accomodate you at Susie.
Mosquitoes should be better by then, check our 2014 Mosquito Reports for
updates as you get closure to your departure dates.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=10801" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
quasi888
Topix Newbie

Post by quasi888 »

Thanks, Maverick! The camping space issue was my greatest concern. I'll post a report upon a (hopefully) happy, successful trip completion!
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

I should have chimed in sooner. As Mav said, your tent will "fit" at Susie. However, there are better sites at Gilmore, and if fishing is the deciding factor, there are far better fish in Gilmore. Look up the picture of GiantBrookie's mackinaw out of there
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Vaca Russ »

TahoeJeff wrote:... there are far better fish in Gilmore. Look up the picture of GiantBrookie's mackinaw out of there
John.jpg
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :nod: :nod: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :eek: :eek: :thumbsup:

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Oh yeah! Salvelinus namaycush magna!
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
quasi888
Topix Newbie

Post by quasi888 »

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

OK, DEFINITELY making a stop at Gilmore.

Any tips on techniques? We usually like tossing out Kastmasters if the conditions are not too weedy.
ehenderson814
Topix Newbie

Post by ehenderson814 »

Just got back from Gilmore with no luck :angry: Fished the entire shoreline and had a couple 12" (what looked to be Mackinaw) get off. That being said, I didn't cast till around 10:00 a.m. Good luck