TR: Glacier Divide, July 8-12, 2014

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Glacier Divide, July 8-12, 2014

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

rlown wrote:nice report! no fish caught as you went along?
rlown, we caught a ton of little Goldens in the lakes and creeks of the Bench, but the big boys up in Darwin Canyon wanted nothing to do with us.

seanr, that's exactly my thinking. I've also found that generally the people you see out that far are happy to engage in some conversation while the closer you are to the TH, the less chatty folks become.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
seanr
Topix Regular

Post by seanr »

Carne_DelMuerto wrote:
rlown wrote:nice report! no fish caught as you went along?

seanr, that's exactly my thinking. I've also found that generally the people you see out that far are happy to engage in some conversation while the closer you are to the TH, the less chatty folks become.
I almost wrote something similar myself! I suppose those folks way out there might have something interesting or even important to say or share. If not, oh well, back to pleasant solitude.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Kirk, I can understand the "bonk".. Even Markskor says, "no Talus please!"

On the bonfire. Call them on it. Saw the same thing in French near Paris; smelled smoke, walked over at 9pm. Asked what is up with the fire?

They put the fire out immediately and offered me whiskey (go figure). The cheese was good as well. nice enough, but they thought i guess they could sneak it.

If they seem hostile, you walk away and then report them as such at the exit ranger station. They know the permit and the party hopefully. It's really not ok to have that fire, regardless.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

On the bonfire. Call them on it.
Too late, that's in the past. Why even suggest it? You were offered whiskey, consider yourself lucky.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

for future reference. call people on stuff. Some areas require respect!