Marmots at Mineral King Trailhead? What is the update?

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
richapple
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Marmots at Mineral King Trailhead? What is the update?

Post by richapple »

Hmmm... I see no mention of fabric softener dryer sheets (smell horrible) but just this year we've been giving it a shot. Drive onto four of them and also put them tied to rocks on top of each tire. But then we haven't been at Mineral King.

Are dryer sheets a known "dumb thing" that doesn't work at all? We'll be parked at Franklin Pass TH (or Timber Gap TH) more than a week coming right up, and I'd not considered the car-fence stuff.

And I'm not sure I understand in this thread the mention of parking down at the ranger station. Do marmots loath authority? Or is that lot fenced or something?

Thanks for info/opinions...

Rich
richapple
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Rich,

Not so sure you'll need to do anything about marmots this time of year

As for the ranger station, in spring when the marmots are out in full force parking at the ranger station provides a little bit more protection because of the people coming and going which tends to keep the marmots away as compared to the TH parking lots (and being a mile down the road helps too).

Have a good trip -
richapple
Topix Acquainted

Post by richapple »

Thanks, Shawn, and yeah, a bit of Googling showed that early season in a big snow year increases the odds, so late season and not-so-much snow this year... And I guess in the thread some time ago someone mentioned a ranger saying no marmot invasions for over a month.

And that makes sense about the ranger station parking area.

Yes, looking forward to the journey. I'm almost ready to post a TR for the first one of the season for us (in June), so hopefully this year I'll catch up and even get some from the last couple years posted!

Rich
richapple
orbitor
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by orbitor »

Hi Rich,
What were your findings with the marmot situation last month?
Thanks.

richapple wrote:Thanks, Shawn, and yeah, a bit of Googling showed that early season in a big snow year increases the odds, so late season and not-so-much snow this year... And I guess in the thread some time ago someone mentioned a ranger saying no marmot invasions for over a month.

And that makes sense about the ranger station parking area.

Yes, looking forward to the journey. I'm almost ready to post a TR for the first one of the season for us (in June), so hopefully this year I'll catch up and even get some from the last couple years posted!

Rich
Climbing | Community | Adventure | Life
http://www.sierramountaineeringclub.org
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

To revive a three year old thread....I am going to MK for the first time. It appears to be "early season" for Marmots, so I presume I need to prepare my car in some way. Anyone have any experience with marmots at MK that is more recent than this three year old thread? What do you do for your cars? And is there a parking area that avoids the problem altogether?
Lazeydazey
Topix Novice

Post by Lazeydazey »

We were there 3 weeks ago and folks at cabins, trailheads and ColdSprings Campground were either staking out wire perimeters around their vehicles, leaving their hoods open, or attempting to wrap the bottom half of their car in a tarp. There is a shed across from the ranger station where you can borrow tarps, but the marmots are chewing through them. Parking elsewhere is a brilliant idea! You could park at the trailhead parking for Hockett Meadows (at the Atwell Cmpg) and hitchhike up the road. What is it, 8 miles? Good Luck!!
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Thanks Lazey and Jay! Looks like I have a little shopping to do at Home Depot!
catbound
Topix Newbie

Post by catbound »

Well, I think marmots may indeed loath authority. A couple summers ago, instead of keeping their distance, they went for a couple vehicles parked at the gov't housing with a vengence. There's no predicatability anymore--maybe it's climate change... Used to be that only the vehicles at the upper trailhead parking lots got eaten, and that is still where most of the problems happen, but gov't housing is by Silver City way down the road. People were being told it is safer to park down by the station a ways down from the trail heads, but I'd tarp even down there with the new unpredictability. So far as I know a tarp that covers the wheel wells still works. Also, used to be that they always stopped chewing by mid-August, but I would not place any bets on those guys anymore. Good idea to call the MK station to see what they've been up to. It's a funny thing that they prefer some cars/trucks over others. That's why some people have been lucky and some not. Problem is they will not let us know which ones they prefer and why.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

The insulation on the underside of my 2007 Forester hood has been chewed up which is trivial. I've been there several times over the years and never had any serious damage even though only once did anything and that was put the hood up. The usual serious problem is when they chew on coolant hoses. They do that because of the sweet coolant smell and rubber out gassing. My suspicion is the reason they have never bothered my vehicles is because my engines tend to get rather dust, oil, and dirt covered due to all the dirt roads I drive and that mutes that smell making them less tasty. Instead they probably prefer newer vehicles with clean engines where all the rubber and plastic parts are still out gassing or vehicles with slight coolant leakage.

David

http://www.davidsenesac.com/2017_Trip_C ... les-0.html
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

kpeter wrote:To revive a three year old thread....I am going to MK for the first time. It appears to be "early season" for Marmots, so I presume I need to prepare my car in some way. Anyone have any experience with marmots at MK that is more recent than this three year old thread? What do you do for your cars? And is there a parking area that avoids the problem altogether?
So how did it go? Did you wrap your car or not? Was there evidence of marmot activity?