Article: Winter storm brings snow to mountains

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Article: Winter storm brings snow to mountains

Post by ERIC »

Winter storm brings snow to mountains, needed rain to Valley

BY CARMEN GEORGE
The Fresno BeeNovember 1, 2014

Storms that brought snow to the Sierra Nevada and much-needed rain to the central San Joaquin Valley fizzled by Saturday night — the last expected rainfall in the foreseeable future.

The precipitation brought snow to around 5,000 feet, the lowest snowfall thus far this season.

By Sunday morning in the Fresno area, conditions are expected to be dry and mostly clear — if not totally clear, said meteorologist Jim Andersen with the National Weather Service in Hanford. The storm system was moving east, and temperatures will continue to warm over the next few days, with no more storms expected in the coming week, Andersen said.

The storm that started Friday brought about a foot of snow to Lodgepole in Sequoia National Park, and at least 6 inches of powdery white to Shaver Lake. It was a welcome addition to the scenery for Tyler Powell with Shaver Lake Sports.

“The snow is extravagant,” Powell said Saturday. “I woke up and it just put a big smile on my face.”

One of Powell’s neighbors was so overjoyed that he did a front flip into a bank of snow outside the sports shop.

“It’s pretty awesome,” Powell said of the snow. “It’s bringing a lot of people up here.”

As of early Saturday afternoon, Powell had sold close to 40 snow sleds, along with a number of snow boots, gloves and snow chains for vehicles.

Up the road in Lakeshore near Huntington Lake, China Peak Mountain Resort reported 13 to 15 inches of snow Saturday morning at its base.

Lyndsie Couto, a manager at the resort, said the new snow is heavy with lots of moisture, which will freeze nicely and provide a good base for the more fluffy, powdery snow that skiers and snowboarders hope will fall later. China Peak typically opens around Thanksgiving.

“This is definitely positive,” Couto said of the storm. “We’re optimistic about a good winter.”

In Yosemite National Park, snow also fell at Badger Pass Ski Area — set to open Dec. 12 — and closed Tioga and Glacier Point roads Friday night. The road to the Mariposa Grove of giant sequoias is also closed.

By Saturday evening, about 0.82 of an inch of rain had fallen in the Fresno area in the past 24 hours, said National Weather Service meteorologist Gary Sanger.

Read more here: http://www.fresnobee.com/2014/11/01/421 ... rylink=cpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Timberline
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Article: Winter storm brings snow to mountains

Post by Timberline »

So glad to see yer gettin' some "moistya" down there! Here's hopin' for more to come :nod:
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

Rain guage in Reedley was over an inch and my cabin at 7000 ft in Grant's Grove up in Kings Canyon got 14 inches. It was a beautiful weekend up there!
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Yes, there is snow in them hills! We went up to Grouse Ridge north of I-80 on Sunday. There was over a foot at 7500 feet. We snowshoed around for several miles.

I will post a report later in the week when I get back from LA. Enjoy it while you can, it is melting fast!

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
kd6swa
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by kd6swa »

Russ,
if you can see into Yosemite on your way down to Los Angeles or Back, give us a report on what that looks like.

KD6SWA
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

It probably looks something like this.
http://www.nps.gov/common/commonspot/cu ... 55BD33D841" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Well Tioga pass and Ebetts pass are open again if that is an indication. I live by donner summit and most of the snow has melted here.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Tioga has some snow, but the road is dry. (posting from Mammoth).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

AlmostThere wrote:Tioga has some snow, but the road is dry. (posting from Mammoth).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanna see some snow? Check out my next post! :D :nod: :eek: :D

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.