Maverick's 2015 Annual HST Meet-Up 7/22-7/24/15

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Maverick's 2015 Annual HST Meet-Up 7/22-7/24/15

Post by oleander »

I'm in!
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gazelle »

Yes sorry coming in Kaweah pass.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

rlown wrote:Showed the lakes as fish-less.
The particular fishing opportunity of this trip lies in the journey, not the destination. Heck, that was even true of this year's meet-up: Jim and I were both wondering why, why didn't a place as incredible as Wales not have fish? But it didn't matter, because along the way and even next door provided enough fishing to satisfy even the most jaded GT hunter.

Consider the Miter x-c route - 'nuff said. What about Shepherd? As a quick spur, WLB rocks even if you don't go all the way below Tulainyo. And the Kern itself? A true native Sierra species, never planted either 5, 50 or 100 years ago unlike every lake in the Sierra north of the Kern, Golden trout creek or the SF Kern watershed.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

k. i'm done. sky blue,et al looks better.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

The lakes in KB are fish less, but Picket Creek and the lakes in that drainage have
fish Russ, that is from a good source, who was through there last year, not 20 years
ago. ;)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

never saw a TR on that. prove it someone. And not 6" fish.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

PM-ed the member to please chime in about the size of the fish he saw in the
Picket Creek drainage Russ.

Edit: So we have you on record, if the fish are larger than 6" you coming. :D
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Thanks. 14 or better.. or not going. There are other choices.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Per a private exchange a few years ago with Tom K, who has traveled in these parts many, many times over the last 20-30 years, and isn't one particularly prone to hyperbole:

"The Kern river definitely has some huge fish in it, especially as you go further downstream. I say 2 were at least 20" hanging in the current XXX just north of YYY back in 2006. The water is bigger down there and there is a lot more insect life. It's great fly fishing water down that way. The bears are fatter, too."

I've kept copies of these emails in a file folder for a Kern river trip ever since. Next year is my chance - all I needed was an excuse to finally pull the trigger.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

i don't doubt that report. I now know what i'm doing next year. Not the meet up. Not that I don't want to see you guys/gals, but, I do what I do. BTW, fish don't live much beyond 20 years.