TR: Overnight Snowshoe Trip in Yosemite ~ December 2014

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Overnight Snowshoe Trip in Yosemite ~ December 2014

Post by Bluewater »

I really appreciate that my wife is supportive of my Sierra habit. Although there are limits to what even the most understanding partner will 'understand', she has been ok with most of my week+ long trips each summer. A few years ago she started to show some interest in going camping (she calls it camping) together.

Our first experience was a short trip to Little Yosemite Valley with a side trip to Half Dome (http://seatosummitultralight.blogspot.c ... -dome.html). Later we did a short section of the JMT together (http://seatosummitultralight.blogspot.c ... ws-to.html) and even a slightly longer North Lake - South Lake trip in 2012.

Over the past few years she has warmed up to the idea of taking an overnight trip in the winter. We kept it simple at first by starting in the local mountains last spring. Unfortunately she needs a lot more insulation than I do and the first night she was cold in a 15 degree bag even while wearing a Mirage down jacket and down booties/mitts etc (it got down to 24 that night).

This time I was determined to make sure that she stayed warm. Her winter sleep system included a silk base layer, synthetic mid layer, Montbell Frostline Parka, 15 degree bag inside a size large 15 degree MYOG quilt, silk liner socks, thick wool socks, synthetic balaclava, merino glove liners, Blackrock down mitts, booties and beanie, chemical warmers and two hot water bottles. This time she was actually too hot by the middle of the night. Success!

I slept in shorts and a MYOG 25 degree quilt.

After staying at the Wowona Hotel the first night we followed the well packed trails to Dewey Point and camped overlooking El Capitan and the rest of Yosemite below.
1.JPG
It snowed most of the first day:
3.JPG
Bundled up:
5.JPG
In the morning it had cleared up and we enjoyed some great views:
6.JPG
7.JPG
View from Dewey Point:
8.JPG
9.JPG
Shorts in the winter?
11.JPG
Clear morning on the hike out:
12.JPG
13.JPG
It was fun doing some winter camping together. Now that her winter gear is dialed in I think we will be back for more overnight winter trips soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DAVELA
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Overnight Snowshoe Trip in Yosemite ~ December 2014

Post by DAVELA »

how did you bribe/convince a woman to sleep under just a tarp and directly on snow?
that is some incredible skill of persuasion.

as an aside,the scenery looks great....thanks for the tr....
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I suspect he used the same methods I had to use on my boyfriend.

(I know people forget this, but I'm not male.)

Boy, I sure wish there was as much snow as the first time I went to Dewey in winter! Such great views from camp.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Inspiring. I'll have to work on my wife. I can see her in the shoes, but not the tent. She used to be quite the little snow bunny :D
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks for your feedback. It took years of subtle persuasion, which usually included plenty of photos and stories about how beautiful it is out there. Eventually Candy asked why I wasn't taking her along!