Rosa Point (5,083') trip report and pictures

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
wingding

Rosa Point (5,083') trip report and pictures

Post by wingding »

Yesterday, December 3, 2005, I hiked to Rosa Point (5,083') in the Santa Rosa Mountains. I started the hike 14.8 miles east of Highway 86 along S22 in Anza Borrego State Park. From the parking area at 960', I hiked northeast across the gentle alluvial fan toward the rounded hill visible just west of the mouth of Palo Verde Canyon. Once I reached the hill I headed up it northeast following a use trail until I crossed a shallow saddle and headed generally north up the ridge to a flat area at 3,520'. I could see Rosa Point along with two other peaks in the distance from this spot. From the flat area I turned right and headed northeast until I crossed over the Palo Verde Canyon. From on the east side of the canyon I followed the use trail up the hill passing the north side of point 3,800' to a saddle at about 3,600'on the ridge that heads north to Rosa Point. From here I followed the ridge north to Rosa Point. The views from Rosa Point include the Salton Sea, Mile High Peak and Rabbit Peak.

It was a long day but the weather was perfect. I started hiking about 7:30 am and got back to my truck at 5 pm just as it was getting dark. The ups and downs total about 4,800 feet of gain over approximately 12 miles. The use trail most of the way makes travel easier, so if you go try to stay on it. Also, be careful on the way out because the small rocks under your feet are like walking on marbles in places. I was glad to have my hiking poles with me as I headed downhill.

My pictures are at:

http://community.webshots.com/album/516508795JNlHLs

I'll be headed back to do Villager Peak when the days get a little longer. I'd also like to give Rabbit Peak a try as an overnight trip. If anyone is interested in these hikes, let me know because it would be nice to have company.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by madeintahoe »

WD..Looks like you had a nice hike! It looks so warm where you where..was it? Or maybe im just tried of freezing up here & I was dreaming while I was looking at your pictures that you were in warm weather HA!! Beautiful pictures...how cool I bet that was to see the blooming cactus...love the color the sun showed on the mountains.
tpdwr
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Villager Pk.

Post by tpdwr »

I was camped on Villager this past February, mid-week. It was about 8 P.M. & I was in my tent when a helicopter came flying in to a hover about 100' from me. They lit my tent up with a spot light and of course the tent was flapping all over! I scrambled out the door and as I did they slid off a bit, dowsed the light and over their P.A. said "Sorry to disturb you Sir, have a good evening"! With that they slid off down towards Borrego Springs. It took me awhile to settle down after that.
Don Raether