Planning 3 day 20 - 25 mile Trip early April

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bones
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Planning 3 day 20 - 25 mile Trip early April

Post by bones »

Hello:
I need some help to identify a potential hike / backpack outing in early April?
This is an outing with experienced youth backpackers.
2 nights 3 days prefer a loop about 20-25 miles.
Any suggestions or do we need to go to the coast?
Thanks
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

You can go in April if you are prepared to snow camp. You have to carry more gear and it is harder, but few people! My kids loved snow camping and remember our snow trips the fondest! However, if you don't want snow...the Ventana wilderness area in the Big Sur section is sublime in April! Around mid April a must see is the lupine on the Pine Valley hike!!!!
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

I agree that April usually doesn't offer much in the Sierra that is not outright snow camping. If you need to set your trip way in advance, I'd simply aim for the coast, SoCal mountains, or the White Mtns..

On the other hand, if the winter ends up being super mild, there may be some limited opportunities presented. As an illustration, I once dayhiked to and fished Roosevelt, Land, and Secret Lakes out of Leavitt Meadow on April 12, 1988, following a rather dry winter. I figure those three lakes had been thawed for at least a week and possibly two as of my visit that year (and the trail was totally snow free). I also visited a totally thawed Loon Lake (west of Desolation Wilderness) and Frances Lake (little lake near Loon) on April 22, 1990 (after another low snowfall year). Those lakes had been thawed for a good two weeks as of that visit, which would mean that the ones in the backcountry in that area (Rockbound, Buck Island, et al.) would also have been. Some of the areas of NW Yosemite will also open up super early following a light winter owing to their low elevation. On April 8, 1992 we hiked out of Hetch Hetchy to a fairly low fishless (well maybe not) lake in what looked for all the world like mid summer conditions. I suspect Laurel L. 6480+ and Vernon Lake 6560+ would have been thawed as of that date based on the lack of snow we saw on ridges way higher than that. I guess what I'm saying is that there are actually a few targets available in April following a light winter. It's on a pace to be a very light winter, but it just takes a big March to change that.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;