2015 Backcountry Conditions Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: 2015 Backcountry Conditions Reports

Post by gary c. »

I just read that the FS reported 20" of new snow in Tuolumne Meadows. \:D/
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

He must have broken off the snotcicles before snapping the selfie.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

2015 Backcountry Conditions Reports

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks for the links Hobbes! All those great pxts make me want to get out there ASAP.

BTW, I've never read the word "your" used instead of "you're" so many times in a row:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jkl123
Topix Novice

5/10/15 Glen Pass

Post by jkl123 »

This is Glen Pass as of May 10th - it did get some new snow, but was softening up in the afternoon sun
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by maverick on Tue May 12, 2015 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated subject
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

When posting a Conditions Report, please try to follow the guidelines in the initial post.

Please update the "Subject" box with the area you visited and include the dates of your
trip, this way members can scan thru the Subject titles, and choose their area of their interest,
instead of having to read each report for the where and the when the trip took place. Thank you. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Quick update from Mammoth Lakes - 8:35 AM. - for those thinking of possibly heading out to higher climes this weekend.
Just now started snowing with bitter cold - Weather channel here says 12" expected - this system supposedly containing more water than last week's storm.
Be careful out there.
Mountainman who swims with trout
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

For those interested in a detailed analysis of what is occurring and what to expect, Howard @

http://mammothweather.com/

provides some great information. If you read further down the page, you will note that he believes we're seeing the incipient results of a late El Nino formation.
KevinDo
Topix Acquainted

Re: 5/10/15 Glen Pass

Post by KevinDo »

jkl123 wrote:This is Glen Pass as of May 10th - it did get some new snow, but was softening up in the afternoon sun
Ill be doing the rae lakes loop on the 23rd (ccw). How deep is the snow? Passable?

Thanks!
Kevin
dapperdave
Topix Acquainted

Yosemite May 9th to 14th

Post by dapperdave »

Already out of date considering yesterday's storm, the wife and I did a loop from the valley up to Glen Aulin via Snow creek ,North dome and May lake, returning through Tuolumne meadows, Rafferty creek, Fletcher creek and the Merced valley.

Snow from last weeks storm was melting quickly below about 9000ft with lots of wet trails. As we climbed above 9500 ft we encountered significant snow on West facing aspects (2-3 ft drifts covering about 50% of the upper part of the Fletcher creek trail) Trails were passable in trail runners.

Creek crossings were no trouble ( we only had to wet our feet once, crossing Murphy creek on the way down from May lake)

From Bunnell point to about 600 yards east of the LYV campsite has been badly burnt with most trees likely dead, some nice patches of wildflowers starting to recolonise the area and aspens beginning to sprout from the base of burnt trunks.

We saw a single mosquito at Mirror lake.

Dave.
dougieb
Topix Regular

Post by dougieb »

I'm thinking about heading to Big Wet Meadow past the Roaring River Ranger Station this coming Memorial Day weekend and I'm trying to determine whether this will be a nasty slog or a relatively snow-free trip. I'd be heading from Marvin Pass trailhead. Most of the route is from 7500-9000 ft with just a couple points above 9000 ft. PS I've never been to this trailhead or traveled any of these trails.

I checked some of the snow accumulation charts and I called and left a message at the SEKI office but haven't heard back yet.

Any thoughts folks?