2015 Backcountry Conditions Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2015 Backcountry Conditions Reports

Post by AlmostThere »

the road to Marvin trailhead is open?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dougieb
Topix Regular

Post by dougieb »

:lol: I guess first I need to find the answer to that question... I remember reading that a section of the road from Horse Corral Meadow to the Marvin PAss trailhead has been closed for a while due to a landslide or something but I could be wrong. Beyond that would you expect the road to be closed for the winter? I really wish I could get in touch with a ranger.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

that road is included on the official Kings/Sequoia page. it says it's still closed. a more updated status is probably included on the park conditions phone recording.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dougieb
Topix Regular

Post by dougieb »

The recording didn't work but I eventually got a call back from the visitors center and they said the road was open. They told me that hadn't had any reports on the condition of the trail. They also said they've been getting dustings here or there and there's some more in the forecast for this week so... Kind of a toss up.
marymaryland
Topix Novice

Re: 2015 Backcountry Conditions Reports: Center Basin 5/12

Post by marymaryland »

Hi all--

Slipped in for a quick trip to Center Basin in southern Kings Canyon NP last week. This info is likely out of date after this week's storms, but there was practically no snow on the ground in the basin, just drifts about 8-12 inches deep that were easy to avoid/ walk around. Creek levels were low-- like early July of last year. Attached is a picture of the Bubb's Creek crossing at Junction Meadow toward East Lake. I didn't try, but looked mellow and passable, definitely lower than in June of 2014.

Anyone with info about what the high country looks like after this week's weather, speak up, please! I'd like to head out again this weekend over Shepherd Pass but am not sure how much has accumulated. Ranger stations in Bishop and Lone Pine had no reports to relay when I called today.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

marymaryland wrote:Hi all--

Anyone with info about what the high country looks like after this week's weather, speak up, please! I'd like to head out again this weekend over Shepherd Pass but am not sure how much has accumulated. Ranger stations in Bishop and Lone Pine had no reports to relay when I called today.
Here are some photos of that area from a few days ago.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 561&type=1
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KevinDo
Topix Acquainted

Re: 2015 Backcountry Conditions Reports: Center Basin 5/12

Post by KevinDo »

marymaryland wrote:Hi all--

Slipped in for a quick trip to Center Basin in southern Kings Canyon NP last week. This info is likely out of date after this week's storms, but there was practically no snow on the ground in the basin, just drifts about 8-12 inches deep that were easy to avoid/ walk around. Creek levels were low-- like early July of last year. Attached is a picture of the Bubb's Creek crossing at Junction Meadow toward East Lake. I didn't try, but looked mellow and passable, definitely lower than in June of 2014.

That's good to hear! I'll be heading out for Rae Lakes this weekend (CCW) and will report back how the conditions are!
By the way, I don't think the photo attached?
-Kevin
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

Brian, do you know the person who posted those shots? Hardcore winter technical climbing trips me out. It's so far out of my experience level it's not even funny.

Getting up that last section of Shepherd was probably harder (and way more dangerous) than actually climbing Tyndall. Jeez, look at this: :eek:

Not to be outdone, there's the usual professional guide crew down @ Whitney:

http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthread ... Mt_Whitney
I was told at the Hostel that there has not been a summit for the last 2 weeks ...

schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

Hobbes wrote:Brian, do you know the person who posted those shots? Hardcore winter technical climbing trips me out. It's so far out of my experience level it's not even funny.
I'm facebook friends with him but don't know him personally. Like people here, we share a love of the Sierra. I have dabbled in winter climbing and want to get more into it. I also did a lot of steep offtrail skiing at Squaw Valley in my youth as well as rockclimbing so the sport seems natural to me. The problem that I face is that I'd like to have a partner to go on those trips with and I have yet to find one. Maybe I'll groom my son into one? If anyone reads this and is interested in teaming up on a climb, let's meet up. :drinkers:

Also, that section on Shepherd's was probably fine as long as the snow was nice and soft. It all depends on conditions. They seem to have gotten great climbing conditions based on the photos.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
marymaryland
Topix Novice

Post by marymaryland »

schmalz wrote:
Here are some photos of that area from a few days ago.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 561&type=1
Thanks for sharing these, they're exactly what I need! Travel really doesn't look that bad, but things would feel quite different up there with thunderheads overhead instead of that sweet blue sky.