As weather turns, ski resorts prepare for new season

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

Oct 28, 2005, 07:26 AM PDT
http://www.krnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4041751&nav=8faO

With temperatures dropping, ski resorts are starting to make snow and gear up for the upcoming season.

Even though a lot of snow did not fall at the Mount Rose Ski Resort, for many people, like Ben Fresco, it was like seeing a long lost friend. "I can't wait for the ski season to begin...It's boring around here when there isn't any snow on the ground."

If snowless ground is boring to some, then the sight seen across the Sierra Thursday morning was more exciting than any seen since June. And since before June, Northstar at Tahoe has been finishing massive renovations including the new village.

Phase one; 200 condominium units with 60,000 square feet of retail space below.

Nicole Klay, Northstar-at-Tahoe, "From the new village, to the new shuttles in our parking lot dropping guests off right in front of the village, to on mountain signage, that has changed, and grooming maps, everything is making the guest experience more convenient at Northstar."

But the folks at Northstar aren't the only ones with big plans for the season.

The crew at the Village Loft Ski Shop in Incline Village has been waiting for opening day, year after year, for 31 years. Off-season may be boring, with stocking and getting gear ready, but the snow changes all of that.

Fresco, "Extremely excited. First snow of the year, we're starting to get ready. I can't wait for the chairs to start spinning."

That's because when the chairs start spinning customers, like Steve McFarland, start stopping by. "I was gonna get new ski's this year, but I just saw the snow, so I said 'what the heck, let's see if there are any sales,' you know, I'm just scouting around right now."

At Mount Rose, and at other resorts, snowmaking gets underway any time the temperature is cold enough. And it feels cold enough right now.

Mt. Rose hopes to open on November 10th. Northstar, Alpine Meadows and Squaw Valley are hoping to open on November 18th.
SteveB
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by SteveB »

At least 6" on Mt Rose above Tahoe, and a nip in the evening air!! :D *doing happy dance*