A few questions about Mineral King

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
justm
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

A few questions about Mineral King

Post by justm »

Hi all, I'm doing a trip out of Mineral King, it's my first time there and in that area. I've got the tarp and rope for the trailhead, so I'm ok with that. I leave the end of June, come back on the 6th of July. Will I need an ice ax,crampons, ect for either Sawtooth pass or Franklin Pass ? Do you think I'll be able to use my Caldera Cone alcohol stove , or are they restricted in the area ? I'm doing a side trip up to Precipice lake, any others I should think about ? I'm a fly fisher man, catch and release, any lakes , of interest? Anything else I should know ?
Thanks for your advice !!!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: A few questions about Mineral King

Post by maverick »

Will I need an ice ax,crampons, ect for either Sawtooth Pass or Franklin Pass ?
Nope, but would advise to go in via FP, use SP ( steep and sandy) for a exit option only.
Do you think I'll be able to use my Caldera Cone alcohol stove , or are they restricted in the area ?
Yes, they are allowed. http://www.nps.gov/seki/learn/nature/fi ... ctions.htm

Since you mention Precipice, are you going back to MK via Redwood Meadow Grove, hike back and exit BRP, or
using the HST, and have another car waiting for you at Crescent Meadow?
Nine Lakes Basin is really pretty, as are Hamilton Lakes.

Use the "search" feature in " The Fishing Hole" to recon the lakes for fish, plenty of info there.

PS Here is a thread, that might be helpful with the fishing: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11536&p=88452&hilit ... ing#p87050
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
justm
Topix Regular

Post by justm »

Thanks for the info, so you advise going in over Franklin , coming out , Sawtooth ? How come ? I would have loved to meet everyone at the meet up, but the dates didn't work.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Sawtooth is quite steep and very sandy, which makes going over it with a full pack, especially at the start of a trip, the least advisable of the 3 trailed routes. I do not not know how many days you are planning this trip for, give us the days/nights, and if you want some cross-country thrown into the mix, we can make things more interesting if you wish. ;)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
justm
Topix Regular

Post by justm »

Thanks Maverick, I'm heading in on June the 28th , coming back on July the 6th. My permit has me going over Sawtooth and coming back over Franklin.. So 7 nights . Going to the Kern and back .
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Sawtooth isn't a maintained trail. A friend and I got into the maze of use trails the peak baggers make with our backpacks on - had to shake scree out of my pants. If you don't know where the switchbacks are, it can be much harder. The other side is much more straightforward coming up.
justm
Topix Regular

Post by justm »

ok thanks for the info, !!!
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

I've been over the pass 3 times and never gotten off the preferred route. Also down below between Glacier Pass and Monarch Lakes there are some better options away from the sandy areas but they are tricky route finding challenges where savvy topo work is necessary.

For Sawtooth Pass would advise looking at the area via Google Earth but don't use the latest imagery that is 5/30/2014 because it was still somewhat snowy. Rather bring up the historical imagery for 8/25/2013. At same time have a window open on the topo to check what you are looking at. Though note the dotted line on the map has little correlation with the current use trail:

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=36.46006,-118.56136&z=15&t=T

The obvious area of trouble is the center of the traverse across that sandy face. It is more difficult descending. So will describe from that perspective. Those who don't know better often follow tracks of inconsiderate Sawtooth Peak peakbaggers that drop directly down the deep sand and just make a huge mess lower down burying the lower use trail. That is however also a bad idea especially carrying a heavy backpack because the slope only gets a lot steeper as it is convex. Some start making their way through that difficult section but then keep following tracks down beyond the point where one can easily regain the middle traverse towards Glacier Pass. On GE note how far one ought to stay on the high traverse from the pass before starting to drop down through the maze in order to regain the middle of 3 primary traverses off towards Glacier Pass. Those using the highest traverse were likely clueless about needing to drop and struggled to continue high. But eventually they get to the point where they have to drop through the 150 foot steep band but end up doing so where not many had to do so. The lower band is the result of those that kept going down until they noticed how steep it was down below and escape on a loose sandy traverse off towards GP.

David
http://www.davidsenesac.com/Spring_2015 ... 015-1.html
justm
Topix Regular

Post by justm »

Thank you'll for this great info. I should have checked on this before I got my permit. Do you think I could just start the trip over Franklin, without trying to change my permit ? Do they check your permits in this area ? and if they do, I wonder how strict they are, like making you go back?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

you need to switch the permit to Franklin. there are wilderness rangers living out there and they do check. happens to me, anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk