Zimmerbuilt

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Zimmerbuilt

Post by Rockchucker »

Who has a pack built by Chris? What pack did you go with and how do you like it? Would you go this route again? I have 2 main backpacking packs and one is too small for much more than a ul trip ( GG kumo) and the other is generally too big except for week long trips (osprey exos). I'm looking at a mid sized pack that is light and comfortable, and with the features I like in a pack.

http://www.zimmerbuilt.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like this one but a bit larger

http://www.zimmerbuilt.com/halfdome---perkins.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no suture for my future.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Re: Zimmerbuilt

Post by Rockchucker »

No one? :dontknow :boring:
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Slow time of the season on this forum. Why not go with it and maybe be the first to go zimmer! Says custom, so talk to him and design what you want, and let us know what happens.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

Ok I'll beta test. Just placed my order. 3000cu in Dyneema x 28 oz I'll post pics when it arrives.
TRAUMAhead
Topix Acquainted

Post by TRAUMAhead »

Might try the BackpackingLight forum, several people using his pack there. They're pretty well liked and from what I've read, flawless construction.
“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong - that’s when adventure starts.” - Yvon Chouinard
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

TRAUMAhead wrote:Might try the BackpackingLight forum, several people using his pack there. They're pretty well liked and from what I've read, flawless construction.
Thanks! I'm not a member there so I can't post or search, but I did look at reader gear reviews. :thumbsup:
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

HI Rockchucker,

Looking forward to your review since a new pack for 2014 is on my wish list, especially
a custom built one at a decent price.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

maverick wrote:HI Rockchucker,

Looking forward to your review since a new pack for 2014 is on my wish list, especially
a custom built one at a decent price.
Will do! I'm very excited, knowing the volume I need helps. I got a combo of Xpac and Dyneema x. Chris is wonderfully patient and knowledgeable. The worst part is waiting for some decent weather to try it out! I'll at least get a few day hikes with winter gear to test immediately.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

Oh did I mention I'm excited!!! It's nice to look at my gear and say the big 3 are all American made by small cottage builders, this is my last piece of the puzzle!

On a side note I got my son a MLD profit kids pack, 10 oz. his old rei comet pack weighs 2lb10oz. So in one fail swoop I cut 2lbs off my sons back. It would be very tough if I was carting a lighter pack than a 10 YO. My wife just rolled her eyes and asked "what's wrong with the old pack?" By which I answered " it's 2lbs heavier!" And yet the eyes continue to roll! :rolleyes:
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

It's finished and Chris sent me a few pictures.

Sorry for the big pictures.