MCCabe Lake Pass from 20 Lakes Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Pichungo
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

MCCabe Lake Pass from 20 Lakes Basin

Post by Pichungo »

Hello folks, I was wondering if anyone has pictures of McCabe Pass approaching from Secret lake within the 20 Lakes Basin. I have read several strings indicating there are several approaches to reaching the ridge and that if you are not on point it could be a terrible ascent and descent. Would really appreciate any guidance and pictures to make sure I hit the pass right above Secret Lake.

Many thanks

Pichungo :paranoid:
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: MCCabe Lake Pass from 20 Lakes Basin

Post by maverick »

Previous thread: http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... ecret+pass" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The pass from the east. https://www.google.com/search?q=secret+ ... B982%3B728" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28426883@N ... otostream/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This photo is great - shows the east side route looking north.
As stated above, from below, it looks like an easier (and much lower) crossing, going up south above Secret Lake... but NO!... it drops off/ cliffs out that way…
Cross at the most northern part of the crest.
At lake level, far right picture, follow the lower white line left (1/2 way up crest), traverse back right – all the way to the second white line above - left again, but again traverse back right - aiming to hit the top as far right (as far north as possible). At the top continue up – still a little north west to the gap – look for the beat-up Yosemite boundary sign. Use trail from there heads over and down to McCabes.
Mountainman who swims with trout
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I have a couple photos that show the West side. This one is probably the most direct.

To avoid people lagging out on the huge images I put a link to the full size below so you can really see the detail closer up.

full size
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Another great photo - good job Rogue!

Notice the far right cliffs (in shadow)...this is what you are trying to avoid.
Route comes down vertical, just left of (touching) the above-mentioned shadows...small vertical snow patch - a small steep slot canyon (use trail) leading back over to Secret Lake.
Mountainman who swims with trout
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

The two e side pics are not the route! Go to the se corner of Secret lake (to the left, outside of the pic) then straight w. Look for the ducks (one of two useful sets I have found in the Sierra) and follow them zigzagging up to the ridge then turn right and you will find a user trail leading to old sign mentioned by Mark. This route is really easy and until the gulley no hands required. There is no exposure in the gulley but a couple on 3' drops that I use my hands on.

Do not take the easy looking slope to the sw from secret lake. It will lead to the top but way too far s and a truly nasty route down to Macabe.

The gulley on the w side that Mark described is the one just touching the shadow not the one further n with the large streak of snow.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Pichungo
Topix Novice

Post by Pichungo »

Many thanks to all the posts! You guys are awesome. I look forward to making the trip over the pass this summer with my 13 year old boy to go do some fishing. I have learned so much on this forum.

Ricardo
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

More pics of route (click on pics to see larger version):
Ridge to McCabe.jpg
You can clearly see the easy slope at the base of what appears to be impassable headwall. Secret lake is below left most patch of snow.
2 Start of route from Secret.jpg
3 Piece of Cake.jpg
4Working our way n toward sign.jpg
The Sign.jpg
sign 2013.jpg
5 Looking down gulley on way out.jpg
Also, purely my preference is to take road all the way to n end of steelhead lake. rather than going past Cascade lake. It is a little longer distance but easier travel.

mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Pichungo
Topix Novice

Post by Pichungo »

What a wealth of information. Many thanks for all your help. Btw, I just posted a recent list of lakes planted within and around the 20 lakes basin. I posted it in the sensitive section.

Did I read your Cutty golden trip report correctly, your worked for the USFS? I worked for DFG three summers doing backcountry lake surveys before the frog situation got intense. Collected a lot of data and took extensive notes. Too many lakes and not enough time to hit them all.

Cheers,

Ricardo
nickrp
Topix Novice

Post by nickrp »

Great info! I plan on doing this hike from Saddlebag in early june. Anyone happen to have the 'correct' route on a topo?