Treasure Lakes Route Advice

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Gooflinger
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Treasure Lakes Route Advice

Post by Gooflinger »

I have planned a trip this july to Little Lakes Valley and plan to set up camp at Chickenfoot or Gem Lakes with day trips to the sorounding lakes in the area. My question is what is the easiest route to Treasure Lakes? By researching HST, I see there is a use trail from Long Lake following the outlet stream from Treasure Lakes, but is there a trail cross country from Gem Lakes?
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Re: Treasure Lakes Route Advice

Post by SSSdave »

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.39321,-118.76280&z=15&t=T" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From Gem Lakes one ought not simply start climbing over the ridge by visual from the bottom alone without analysing a topo because there are steeps and cliff bands. Reach where the I in Inyo shows by climbing up the obvious lower gradients from the northeast. Top has a short steep section I don't recall at the moment but was apparently not an issue. East side descend to the northwest outlet creek below the lower east lake.
Gooflinger
Topix Novice

Post by Gooflinger »

Thanks dave. Looking at the map and the pics I saw of Gem, looks like that is the way to go. I was just having to avoid going back to Long Lake and heading up through the talis if possiable. Thanks for the map and the knowledge of the area.

Mike
kabah088
Topix Acquainted

Post by kabah088 »

go up through gem over the ridge... on the way down rock hop to meadow above long. get dat gold
no2haven
Topix Acquainted

Post by no2haven »

I gained the ridge from the isthmus between the two southern Gem Lakes and worked my way first north up through trees, and then south when I was higher up to avoid some of the cliffy sections and open granite slab near the top. It's not bad and there are sandy ledges to work your way up through the small cliffs. Terrain towards Treasure Lakes is more gentle. For what it's worth I liked Treasure more than Gem for the scenery and open views.

Camping on the top is great, btw, especially towards the high point west of the main Gem Lakes...lots of sheltered sandy benches with great views towards BCS, Dade, and Abbot. Highly recommended.
Gooflinger
Topix Novice

Post by Gooflinger »

Thanks you guys I can't wait to get up there! Sounds like a killer place with awesome views and campsite. Your insight about the area is just what I was hopeing to get out of this post. Thanks for the input.

Mike