Rae Lks. Loop May 31

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Cascade
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Rae Lks. Loop May 31

Post by Cascade »

A friend and I are planning on doing the Rae Lks. Loop starting on May 31. Any information on latest conditions? Thanks.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Rae Lks. Loop May 31

Post by markskor »

This is a strange year Sierra. While lower than average inches of snow accumulation - (Mammoth only got ~ 250 inches compared to ~ 500 inches on a normal year.), there were those late, wet, May storms. Usually by this time you get consolidated snow...stuff that you can walk on at altitude, eventually you get sun cups too which are a pain but, travel is do-able.
This year wet, mushy, post-hole snow...
Teresa Gergen wrote: Only problem was coming out late - snow was horrible.... Snowshoes didn't help .
Above 9500 feet in the shade, expect crappy conditions, slow travel if snow fields, and lots of swearing.
IMHO, first week of June will be better: ice-out, dry, and probably buggy, but safe to cross high passes.
This week though, no bugs but mush... good luck if crossing any snow after 11:00 AM.
Mountainman who swims with trout
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Rae Lks. Loop May 31

Post by AlmostThere »

In perusing forecasts for my favorite Sierra high country areas, I see there is a pretty good chance of an inch more snow next week. Snow lingers above 9000 feet - lakes are still frozen in varying degrees. Lows at night vacillate between 20-35F.

I would expect anyone going high to be prepared for ice and snow - it's not even good snowshoeing snow. Crunchy first thing in the morning, goes to mush by afternoon.