ADVICE: 5 days 4 nights...September 18-22

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ryboards
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

ADVICE: 5 days 4 nights...September 18-22

Post by ryboards »

Hello Fellow HSTers,

After an almost 2 year absence, we are getting back together for another Sierra staycation. Here is the skinny regarding this eclectic outdoor crew:

Level 2- Some backpacking trips, using trails
Level 3- Numerous backpacking trips, some x-country travel

What terrain are you comfortable/uncomfortable with?
- Class 1 terrain/trail hiking
- Class 2 terrain/pass/x-country

What is your main interest?
- Lakes
- Big Mountain scenery
- Photography
- Fishing

How many miles did you want to do a day, any layovers?

We would like to get to where we are going to base camp in one day.

Do you have a route logistics preference: loop or out and back.

Will you be hiking with a dog? Yes

Is there a particular area in the Sierra that your most interested in? Westside. Ive been checking out TR's from Sequoia:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7681&p=55418&hilit=lost+lake#p55418" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7859&hilit=+rowell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These are valuable sources-thanks again for being rad HST.

We have done dinkey, virginia to green creek on the eastside, and some lower stuff off the tule. This is will be the first time out from 180/198.
From what Ive read, going from Rowell TH to Lost lake can be done in a day. Does this seem accurate? we will leave from the SLO/Paso area at 6am to get up to the trailhead by 10am.
We will want to fish, relax, not see too many people, day hike to ranger, twin lakes, and bark at what will be left of the moon.

Any suggestions/advice is appreciated.
Last edited by maverick on Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Links fixed
The mountains are calling and I must go.

~John Muir
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: ADVICE: 5 days 4 nights...September 18-22

Post by maverick »

We would like to get to where we are going to base camp in one day.
Which is how may miles max? Will you have a day in the front country to acclimate?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ryboards
Topix Acquainted

Post by ryboards »

howdy maverick,

we will not acclimate for a day. We will do breathing exercises at the trailhead. I saw/heard this guy doing them at bishops pass trailhead. he was old and passed me on the trail. Ive been doing them ever since.

That being said, We would like to base out of lost lake form rowell TH. I saw it was done in 4 hours. we will arrive at TH around 10am. Sun sets near 7pm. Im trying to glean info so we arent setting up camp in the dark. ;)

I would say 10 miles would be comfortable. We are all in shape/healthy.

Thanks for the prompt response.

~John Muir
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Lost Lake is beautiful, and the highlight of the area. Seville Lake will be pretty
too, with a touch of Fall colors. Sheep Camp Lakes are quite pretty too, Ranger
Lake is okay. The trail to Lost Lake is not difficult and will not leave you wasted.
Sunrise is beautiful at Lost Lake, and fishing is good at Sheep Camp Lakes. Bear
boxes are available at all of them.
Pear Lake is the another destination worth considering, which is within your
mileage, and gives you access to Tablelands and Moose Lake. The elevation will
be higher, bear boxes are located at Pear, and there is a solar toilet too.
But the hike to Pear Lake is steeper and more strenuous, but quite beautiful.
There numerous TR's to Pear Lake/Tablelands, and the Mooselake area here on
HST that can aid you in your decision.
For example: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7169&p=50886&hilit= ... ake#p50520" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ryboards
Topix Acquainted

Post by ryboards »

Thanks, Maverick, for the info.
Since none of us have been to the area it is nice to read others stories for a game plan, but it is also reassuring when asking questions and they get answered from the experts(you.)

This IS the resource for all things to do in the Sierra.

~John Muir
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Will you be hiking with a dog? Yes
Is that a true statement in your original request? If so, not in a national park i think. They are allowed in the national forest on leash (haven't seen many people put their dog on a less than 6' leash yet :) )

http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/pets.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway, just a heads-up..
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Russ is totally correct, totally forgot that you had mentioned taking a dog, you will
have to look for an area outside of SEKI or not take the dog.

ryboards
Topix Acquainted

Post by ryboards »

Good to know. My buddy has the dog so he will have to determine what course of action to take. The dog is very good off leash in the back country, but I don't want any unnecessary attention drawn to us.
Thanks.

~John Muir
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Is a western approach absolutely neccesary? 20 Lakes Basin, Big Pine Nork Fork, and
Sabrina Basin would allow you to hike in the first day to a basecamp of your choice,
and have several beautiful lakes nearby to visit too, with good fishing.
Also Agnew to 1000 Is Lake (via River Trail) or Ediza Lake (via Shadow Lake) would
be a beautiful basecamp, allowing you to visit several beautiful lakes near by.
These would all require a longer drive to the eastern side of the Sierra, but well worth it.
These are all doggie friendly areas.

ryboards
Topix Acquainted

Post by ryboards »

Maverick,

Yes westside is our only option this trip. I have been chomping at the bit to get us to Agnew to 1000. I have seen photos and cannot wait to see it live in person.

If i can persuade the crew to venture east again we will hit Agnew. The fire ban is playing havoc with our plans as well...

~John Muir