Toyota FJ or get a new transmission?

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Toyota FJ or get a new transmission?

Post by Snow Nymph »

I wasn't sure where to post this. :dontknow

Last night my stick shift kept popping out of first gear, 6 times in 8 miles! :( This morning I stopped to see my mechanic and he sold his business. :( The new guy was nice and probably does a good job, but I'm thinking with 209K mi on it, should I get a new vehicle or have him replace the transmission? :dontknow I'm afraid other things will go wrong. I've only had the water pump and rear brakes worked on, other than replacing the windshield 3 times and 4 sets of tires.

We're going to look at the FJ tonight, but thought if anyone had any info (good or bad), I'd like to hear about it.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
doug395
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by doug395 »

Bummer, I think I hate car repairs more than car payments. I plan to recycle my 4runner at 200, with all the miles you drive a new one seems like a good idea.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

I know that new FJ would be great. Just the same, I had the same problem with my Toyota truck some years back. At first I thought it would be the transmission but it turned out to be a low cost part that needed replacement on the top end (below the stick itself near the cowling). It's been too long for me to recall the name of the part, but even if you sell the thing it would sure be worth having someone confirm what the problem is (the repair on my truck was ~100 bucks).

In my neck of the woods I've seen quite a few FJ's but haven't been able to have a peek inside yet.
Foamfinger
Topix Novice

Post by Foamfinger »

Shhhhhhhhh! No more FJ talk! :mad:
We're in the market and I want to buy one before the the neighbors!
;)
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

:D I just (:) one, and its NICE! They only had an automatic, but I'll be doing research on it. It doesn't lay flat in the back like the 4Runner, but it might be better for sleeping so we're not on our hips.

Shawn, my mechanic replaced that part a few years a go and it worked. He had to replace it a few months ago again, but said if it didn't work this time I would have to replace the transmission. :( Right now I have to hold the stick in first or it pops out of gear (with a big THUD!). It sounds like something is breaking. I think I'll have a new FJ by next week. :D
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Looks like FJ it is ! :D

Can't wait to hear more about it. I must admit though, I have been trained to look at 4Runner's whenever I'm near the Sierra thinking I'd eventually see a Snow Nymph (guess I can be re-trained).
Foamfinger
Topix Novice

Post by Foamfinger »

Snow Nymph wrote::D I just (:) one, and its NICE! They only had an automatic, but I'll be doing research on it.
The manual transmission is full-time 4WD vs the automatic which offers part-time 4WD. The 2-3 mpg trade-off in is noticeable, and though I would prefer a manual, I'm leaning towards an auto. Heck, some off-roaders prefer an auto.

Keep us curious/jealous folks posted.
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

John and I looked at one at the beginning of the summer, we decided the back was too small for both of us to sleep in, but you won't have a problem with that , Cori! The other thing was ground clearance, but I guess that could be solved by having it lifted. I'm still hoping for a new Tacoma next year [-o<
wingding

Post by wingding »

SN - What color are you getting?

When I came up for a new truck this past year I had either the FJ Cruiser or a Tacoma in mind, but the FJ Cruiser wasn't available yet; so it made my decision a lot easier.

I really like my Tacoma - toyota makes some nice trucks. My truck is an automatic with 4WD and the off-road package and with the shell on it I sleep pretty well in the back of it. I used to really like standard transmissions, but I've sure gotten used to that automatic transmission. The only thing I still forget to do it switch it into overdrive because I'm so used to having a 4 speed transmission and this one has 5 speeds.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

I'm looking at titanium/silver, manual, black wheels, rock rails, bull bar, skid plate, and eventually get it lifted. We'll see how much the accessories will run. There's a Four Wheel Parts store 1/2 mile from work, that can do the accessories. Right now Longo gave me some numbers so I might end up going there. Manhattan Toy didn't have the M/T but can order it. I'll ask them what the cost would be. Torrance Toy kept telling me to come in. I didn't like them from the last time and had to ask for my license so I could leave. I'll make a few more calls.