MSR Windboiler – Completed Review

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
hikin_jim
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by hikin_jim »

If anyone is interested, I have completed my review of the new MSR Windboiler.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: MSR Windboiler – Completed Review

Post by markskor »

I don't get it...
Only boils water, (but does it very well), doesn't really simmer, cannot switch out other pots, heavy comparatively, top heavy/tipsy, cannot invert canister, expensive...
What am I missing?
Mountainman who swims with trout
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

markskor wrote:I don't get it...
Only boils water, (but does it very well), doesn't really simmer, cannot switch out other pots, heavy comparatively, top heavy/tipsy, cannot invert canister, expensive...
What am I missing?
Only boils water? Well, the Jetboils are typically used only to boil water, and they seem to have sold all right.

Heavy? Depends on what you're comparing it to. It's within one ounce of all of the other MSR and Jetboil 1.0 sized products. If you're comparing it to a stand alone burner, then yes it's heavy.

Tipsy? Not at all. It's very stable. Check out the tip testing I did in this post here.

It's a good stove. I don't think everyone is going to want one, but for those who want a good integrated canister stove or those who want amazing windproofness, this is a really good choice.

But whatever. I don't sell stoves, I just report on them. :)

HJ
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Interesting review. I have been using the MSR MicroRocket, and use no wind protection, and have been pretty satisfied with the performance, but this system might actually save me a few ounces because of the built in cook set, if I eliminated my cookset. I wonder how much fuel is actually saved- if the stove is efficient enough, over the course of a longer trip(10 days or more), it might mean leaving a 4 ounce fuel canister at home. I mostly just boil water these days anyway.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

hikin_jim wrote: Only boils water? Well, the Jetboils are typically used only to boil water, and they seem to have sold all right.

If you're comparing it to a stand alone burner, then yes it's heavy.

It's a good stove. I don't think everyone is going to want one, but for those who want a good integrated canister stove or those who want amazing windproofness, this is a really good choice.
If only for boiling water and heavier than most...why?

Agreed that it may be a good, solid, easy-to-use stove and many have purchased these JetBoil type stoves but IMHO, there are many other canister stoves sold that are far less expensive, lighter, can simmer, and have the capacity to invert the gas canister. For me, having the ability to cook/simmer and that extra 1/2 pound matters, especially when solo. Interesting that many first-time JMT hikers seem to buy them - not so much the experienced PCTers though.

BTW, I do enjoy the quality reviews...well done and keep up the good work!
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thank you Jim for posting this in-depth review, I am thinking about getting a new
stove, so this comes at a good time. Interesting info about the Sol line being
discontinued, any idea/guesses why Jim?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

markskor wrote:
If only for boiling water and heavier than most...why?

[/quote]

that's what I keep asking people who like the jet boil. It never made any sense to me. I warn folks not to cook then watch them burn a knorrs into the pot and ruin it trying to scrape it out....

For windy places the MSR does look like an improvement tho. i set up a tarp once as a windbreak for my friend and her Jetboil when it blew out every time she lit it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

If it's that windy, why not cook inside the tent?

It looks like a well built stove. I think there are a lot of people who want a push button stove that just boils water.

Hiking Jim, what were the fuel consumption figures? I only saw comparative values in the review.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

I have an aversion to cooking in my tent. I know people do it but I don't want to take the fire risk....
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

richlong8 wrote:if the stove is efficient enough, over the course of a longer trip(10 days or more), it might mean leaving a 4 ounce fuel canister at home.
That's exactly the line of reasoning I discuss in the section on Wind Testing. I present an spreadsheet there. If you have Excel, you're welcome to a copy of the spreadsheet. You can run your own numbers and see what makes the most sense.

HJ