Rae Lake Loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Willythedog
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Rae Lake Loop

Post by Willythedog »

So, id imagine its been discussed before but I'm having trouble finding anything in the search engine. Anywho:

Clockwise? Counter clockwise? Probably gonna be going beginning / middle of July (hoping for more snow and rain but its looking like another dry year)

What campsites are recommended? I was thinking Upper Paradise, Rae Lake (crowded?), and one more night at either Vidette meadow, Junction meadow, or Charlotte Creek. I'm ok with 15ish miles or so a day. I hear Vidette meadows got a lot of bears.

Any side trips for peak bagging? The Videttes look pretty enticing...

How the fishing at the lakes / creeks?

Appreciate your responses.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Rae Lake Loop

Post by maverick »

Clockwise? Counter clockwise?
Clockwise, less steep, better for acclimation to the altitude.

What campsites are recommended? I was thinking Upper Paradise, Rae Lake (crowded?), and one more night at either
Vidette meadow, Junction meadow, or Charlotte Creek. I'm ok with 15ish miles or so a day. I hear Vidette meadows
got a lot of bears.

Upper is fine, Middle is less crowded, at Rae Lakes set up at Dragon Lake if it is crowded, the whole Bubb's corridor has bears, if
you are carrying a canister just camp outside any of the organized campgrounds and you should not have any bear problems.
See if you can add at least one more day, and do a day trip into 60 Lakes Basin from Rae Lakes or spend your last night at East Lake,
either is well worth the effort.

How the fishing at the lakes / creeks?
Check in the Fishing Hole.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Counter clockwise! Get the tough stuff done then coast the rest of the way!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
vitaminC
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by vitaminC »

oldranger wrote:Counter clockwise! Get the tough stuff done then coast the rest of the way!

Mike
Agree!

My loop last year: Rae Lakes 06/2014
----------------
Lots of photos
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

The whole loop has problem bears. Rent a Bearikade. If you have a Bear Vault the rangers may recommend storing it in lockers in Paradise as there has been a bear there several years who can open them

A beautiful loop. I'm doing a modified version in August spending a couple days in Gardiner basin. The lakes in Sixty Lake are apparently gillnetted or poisoned and fishless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Willythedog
Topix Regular

Post by Willythedog »

Yeah I got me a bear boxer (55$ and approved, 1.6lbs).

Hmm easier in the beginning or easier near the end... I'll do some talking with the folks going with me and figure it out. Thanks for the input
bustinwheels
Topix Novice

Post by bustinwheels »

:D Hi Willydog - I am also backpacking Rae Lakes, but we are doing it in May over Memorial Weekend, counter. I understand that it's more crowded going clockwise. We are counting on 5 days or less. I'm more concerned about the snow and if we should bring crampons. I understand there's lots of bears too! This is supposed to be an amazing loop, so I certainly hope we don't run into any bears to ruin our trip.
I'll keep checking this post to see if there are any new updates on the weather as May approaches.
have a great day
:lol: Olivia C
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

don't think anyone needs to worry about snow.

no one should worry about bears either if you store food properly. I enjoy them with a zoom lens and chase them away if they are approaching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

Modeled snow depth as of March 26, 2015 (per NOHRSC Interactive Snow Info):

Here's what it looked like on Memorial Day last year (also low snow year):

Snow should be a non-issue by Memorial Day. Call the permit station at Roads End a week before your trip to confirm (specifically Glen Pass). Have fun.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
Willythedog
Topix Regular

Post by Willythedog »

Jeez almost looks like you can go now

I got permits for 4th of July week clockwise. Snow definitely wont be a problem by then.... but i bet the mosquitos will be goin strong