John Muir Trail this summer (2007)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Robin
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

John Muir Trail this summer (2007)

Post by Robin »

I'm planning on doing the JMT this summer beginning at Cottonwood (want to avoid the crowds on Whitney) and ending in Tuolumne. I'm looking for a trail book and wondering if people recommend the Starr's Guide still. It's what we used when we hiked it in 91. Any ideas??
Thanks for your help.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Starr's is definitely still good (though a bit out of date for trailheads and stuff), but I also strongly recommend Winnet & Morey's "Guide to the John Muir Trail http://www.amazon.com/Guide-John-Trail- ... F8&s=books
On our 2004 trip we cut away the south-to-north part, index, and stuff like that, and took the rest along with us. I presume you know about the Tom Harrison maps, right?

-B2

Hmmmm... the "URL" BBCode doesn't seem to be working right, but the link still works.
Last edited by BSquared on Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robin
Topix Acquainted

Post by Robin »

Cool. Thanks!
Yes, have the Harrison maps on the wall as of today.
Beginning the time line, etc.
Actually saw the book you recommend today at our local mountain store, Bugaboo. Will go get it this week.
Again, thank you for your time.
We'll be keeping you updated as we get closer.
Now, getting ready for some snow camping this winter....
if, of course, it snows.....
;)
Allyn
Topix Acquainted

Post by Allyn »

Here are some of the books I used for my trip thisd past summer.

Starr's Guide to the John Muir Trail and the High Sierra Region, by Walter Starr, Jr.
The John Muir Trail, by Don and Roberta Lowe
Guide to the John Muir Trail, by Thomas Winnett and Kathy Morey
Trout-Fishing the John Muir Trail, by Steve Beck

The last book is for those into fly fihsing. Lot's of information on the trail. I put together a site on my trip that includes some links you might find useful. Mr brother and I both had National Geographic Topo and found that very useful in planning the trip. It helped plan each day and where to camp.

http://www.hardinflat.com/allyn/index.html
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

Allyn, what a great site! I envy the time you had (or at least took ;) ) to put all that work into it. I also love the URL. "Hard'n'Flat" has always been one of my favorite Yosemite-area names!
Allyn
Topix Acquainted

Post by Allyn »

Thanks for the feedback. I sometimes get a little carried away in front of the computer! <sigh> As for the domain, that is my brothers whom I did the hike with (Mike). It is where we grew up most of our summers. My parents met at the Berkeley family camp up the road and we have a family cabin along the river (So. Fork of the Tuolumne). I have spent many fine years hiking and fishing around those parts.

Glad you liked the website. I still think the best one I have seen is http://www.jmt2k.com/. Chris' site. Excellent map relationship to the information. Well beyond my league!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: John Muir Trail this summer (2007)

Post by markskor »

[quote="Robin"]I'm planning on doing the JMT this summer beginning at Cottonwood (want to avoid the crowds on Whitney) and ending in Tuolumne. quote]

Maybe I am just being picky...maybe not, but I find something in this quote troubling. I always thought that "doing" the JMT meant - Whitney summit to the YNP Valley floor.
Thus, "doing" the JMT precludes covering all 211 miles. I agree that to avoid the crowds, a start at Horseshoe Meadows - with a brief backside summit excursion - may be easier: crowds and permit wise...BTW, an excellent choice. Additionally, doing it in sections or semi-reverse order (IE - Tuolumne to Whitney, 395 back to Tuolumne, and finally down to the Valley) may be logistically easier too as to the various transportation issues. While some might argue that any deviation or off hiking...not doing it in one direction totally... may offend some purists, but at least then you can still honestly say that you did the entire Muir in one shot.

Having done the trail multiple times myself, I still recall the satisfaction of saying I "did" the Muir, as I proudly announced it to all the shuttle bus riders at Happy Isles. I do not want to take anything away from your intended trip - surely a magical and magnificent adventure, but -
...Do they race the INDY 450?
Comments ?
Mountainman who swims with trout
Allyn
Topix Acquainted

Post by Allyn »

Okay I'll bite. In the purist form, doing the John Muir Trail is to do the full 211 miles starting from either portal (N to S, or S to N). Then there are those that would say to do so non-stop is necessary to say you've hiked the JMT. Segmenting the trip over a period of time would not count under this concept. However, if we took it to the purist form, how can one do the JMT without adding mileage to their trip that is not the JMT proper? To start or finish on Whitney requires one to get to or get off Whitney, either via the portal or from the west side via Crabtree. So one must hike other trails to actually do the entire JMT. To re-supply at VVR or MTR, or even go out the back side to Independence, Mammoth, etc. requires side excursions that take us off the JMT and adds mileage to the trip. So do these count as taking away from the true trip along the JMT?

Maybe the true definition for Robin's post is that their trip will be "on" or "along" the JMT but not purley "the" JMT. In any event it will be a trip to remember, much as you have indicated in your post. Almost anywhere along the JMT is a fascinating experience and to plan a trip that is not the entire 211 miles can still be considered doing the JMT to some degree.

As far as the Indy, the drivers still have to drive from the garage to the pit to the starting line before they reach the finish. Heck some drivers don't even make the finish line and wind up well short of the full 500, but they have been in the Indy 500, maybe just didn't get to do the full 500.

BTW the fishing was excellent along the trail this year.
Robin
Topix Acquainted

Post by Robin »

Hmm, assuming my JMT adventure isn't a sanctioned race I figured "doing" it wouldn't necessarily mean exactly as it is stated in the books. I've already done that, and besides, I'm not a purist. My personal goal is to visit country I haven't been in since I was a kid (in the 60's) like Cottonwood area, and go back to my favorites (Palisades. Le Conte, Silver Pass). That and spend as much time in the backcountry as I can. Oh, and avoid, as much a possible, the crowds. To further mess with the "doing it" definition, we'll also be off trail for portions in order to spend time traveling cross country.

I promise when people ask, "what did you do this summer," I'll "only" say, "went on a long, extraordinary backpack with a dear friend."

Either way, I hope to see some of you out there for a wave and a chat...and, yikes, now you'll know I'm not a minimalist...maybe a dram of bourbon.

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks again for all of your information. :)
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

I think I've decided I'm a purist for the following reason.

1. I did the trail with my son in 2004.
2. However, I succumbed to his advice, and deviated by going from Reds Meadow down to Fish Creek Valley and up Cascade Valley, instead of Tully Hole, Virginia Lake, and so on. (We also deviated by going out to VVR and then hiking up the Bear Ridge Trail directly from there, rather than taking the ferry back to where we caught it.
3. Therefore, in order to have "really" done it: I HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN! Woo-hoo, I knew there was a reason!

:)