SHR North-South July 2015

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
edhyatt
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

SHR North-South July 2015

Post by edhyatt »

Morning (from the UK)

I'm across this summer to try this; I've read much of the helpful information on here and was looking to see if anyone had any pointers?

North-South for permit availability and convenience. I've read Roper, looked at Skurka's notes and planned out (sort of) things on Caltopo.

I've not done much in the Sierras (JMT, few days trips) am 'happy' on Class 2/3 terrain and an ex-rock climber (been a while though). Did the Colorado Trail in 2013. I'll be doing the Tahoe Rim Trail before-hand to get used to elevation - I live at 240' above sea-level!

Thinking of taking it slow (or realistic):

Twin Lakes- Tuolumne Meadows - 30 miles, 3 days, take a day off
Tuolumne Meadows - Reds Meadows/Mammoth - 50 miles, 5 days, take a day off
Mammoth-Bishop Pass - 75(?) miles, 7-8 days, take a day off
Bishop Pass-Onion Valley - 65(?) miles, 7 days

Any advice or comments welcomed.

ed
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Re: SHR North-South July 2015

Post by wildhiker »

I don't think 10 miles per day cross-country is "taking it slow". That's a very ambitious pace.
-Phil
edhyatt
Topix Regular

Post by edhyatt »

Thanks wildhiker - interesting, I'll think about that; an extra days food (or two) might be a good idea in the early stages then.

I'm usually pretty speedy on rocky terrain and have done a lot of (slow) off-trail in Scotland and Mallorca. I tend to walk all day with few breaks (this might well change at altitude, although I got used to that on the CT and was averaging 18 mile days there easily enough).

I'll be light, with a base weight around 12lbs.

Appreciate that the going can be slow though...looking at some of the images of talus slopes.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

If you "end" on segment at Bishop Pass, are you having someone bring in food? It is still about 3 hours down to the trailhead, and no public transportation into town.

If you go out to Onion Valley, are you going to skip the section of the SHR from Mather Pass to Kings Canyon (roads end)? or are you going to walk back from Road's End via Bubbs Creek to Kearsarge Pass and Onion Valley trailhead?

It is all personal style, but I do not like days off. I would rather just pick up food and keep going. I did this route in 2010, much slower than you propose. (I did a trip report - dig through the archives - three separate trip reports dated in the Fall 2010) My husband joined me on the mid section, and with two vehicles, we were able to shuttle my car to various trailheads. I intended on doing all north-to-south but at Mammoth, we decided to do the mid section south-to-north (easier for my husband to acclimate) and after that transport logistics simply worked better to do the southern section south-to-north. Nevertheless, I researched the route a lot before I did it, and if I had done it alone, I would have continued north-to-south direction --it is a very good choice. Following Roper's directions does get a bit muddled because he describes everything south-to-north.

I assume you are stuck with using public transportation. It is fairly easy to hitch-hike from the trailheads to town. Hey, you have a British accent - people will love to give you a ride! I found that the best way to get a ride from Bishop back to South Lake is to sit at the Forest Service office with a sign. I did that and got a ride within 10 minutes.
edhyatt
Topix Regular

Post by edhyatt »

It was your trip reports that led me to HST - so I've already read and enjoyed them (thanks). I'm surprised not to see others going North-South...perhaps they just don't write about it.

I quite like a little 'down time' so hiking over the pass and hitching into Bishop would be my way to go - the accent works when trying to get a ride, but first potential lifts have to get past the bald head and broken nose...

I was thinking about taking the Bubbs Creek/Kearsage Pass option - looks like a reasonable way out? I think I will have to factor in some more trail time maybe - not too big an issue..I may as well fill the can up with more food.

Appreciate the advice.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

My experience is limited to the southern 2/3rds of the SHR (northbound from Kearsarge/east side entry to Lake Catherine). I usually travel at about 1 mph cross country and 2.5 mph on trail (including breaks) so an average of about 10 mpd is reasonable, but I travel light and like to hike all day. If it's all cross country I usually max out at 7+- mpd depending on the terrain possibly because the route finding can be taxing by the end of the day. Andrew and Manfred from BPL finished the route in 12 days in 2012 which is way too fast or enjoyable for me (trip report here: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... d_id=68276). I've hiked with Andrew a few times and he is fast.

Doing the TRT ahead of time will be a huge benefit with acclimatization and conditioning. I've never felt better than after finishing the JMT and have often thought it would be a good way to get ready before starting the SHR in the future.

I can't tell from your itinerary, but it looks like you may be planning your days off at the end of each section. My preference would be to take days off while on the route, or to take a few 1/2 days along the route. There are a few spots that I wish I could have taken more time to experience/fish/chill while out there. Some highlights: The basin between grey and white passes, Lake Basin, lower Mills Creek Lake, Laurel Lake/Grinnel Lakes and the meadow between Iceberg and Minaret Lakes (above Ediza) among others. Taking days off while out on the route would also leave time for side trips to Ionian Basin, Dumbell Lakes etc or for peak bagging Mt Sill. . .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
edhyatt
Topix Regular

Post by edhyatt »

Thanks for those thoughts - strangely it never occurred to me to take time out on trail - I'll give that some consideration; my usual instinct is to head to a town, a shower, food, and a bed...spending time out in the back-country without an agenda would be interesting.

Your times are about the same as mine, although I don't have too much experience in the Sierra. The TRT does not appear to have much elevation gain, but will help me acclimatise - I'll also be taking some Diamox (whether or not I need it is another thing). Taking 12 days is way too fast for me - about double that seems better!

I travel pretty light too - any gear choices anyone would recommend (I could post up my kit list)?

ed
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

I realize gear is based on individual preference and I'm always interested to see what other people are using. This is my latest 3 season Sierra list (http://seatosummitultralight.blogspot.c ... -2014.html). It works for carrying up to 9 days of food. For longer trips I switch to a heavier pack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
edhyatt
Topix Regular

Post by edhyatt »

W :D W that is light - the MYOG looks great.

I'll put my list up a bit later - happy to have it pared down from it's (in comparison) beefy 12lb base...
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

FYI, Diamox is not something you take after you start to have problems (or if you have sulfa allergies). You start it prior to hiking, to prevent symptoms. It causes other symptoms that I wouldn't care for, so it's fine by me that I don't/can't use it myself.

The best approach, if you do not tend to have elevation issues, is to stay hydrated and acclimate - spend one or two nights at lower elevations before going high. Or camping low and hiking high.