TR: Crabtree TH to Emigrant L. loop, 6/13-6/15

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
squirrel
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

TR: Crabtree TH to Emigrant L. loop, 6/13-6/15

Post by squirrel »

Hi all,

Here's a quick report of my trip this past weekend. I did a ~30 mile loop solo from Crabtree to Emigrant Lake via Gem Lake and Deer Lake, then Emigrant L. to Woods Lake, and back along the Buck Meadow Creek and Grouse Lake. You can see my route in red here: http://caltopo.com/m/766B; the other colors map out side trips I didn't end up taking, except I did make a small detour to have lunch at the South Buck Lake on the 2nd day.

Note that the 3 mile portion of the route going around the west side of Emigrant Lake to the junction near Cow Meadow Lake was almost entirely off trail with lots of scrambling. A trail is shown on the Caltopo maps, but not on the Trails Illustrated or 7.5' USGS maps.

Perhaps not surprisingly, mosquitoes were bad this weekend. See my report in the mosquito thread. Weather was warm and sunny and all creek crossings were fine. No snow left on the trail anywhere.

You can view some mediocre-quality cell-phone pictures I took to document the trip.

Seems like a popular area with much already written about it online. I'll just add that the area near the trailhead is somewhat unremarkable, but past Camp Lake to Emigrant Lake was very nice, and also the stretch along the Buck Meadow Creek from Woods Lake to Cherry Creek was also very scenic, with the creek rushing below you along the south side of the trail and exposed granite mountains rising on the north and south sides. I'm happy to answer any questions if anyone else is interested in a similar trip.
justm
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Crabtree TH to Emigrant L. loop, 6/13-6/15

Post by justm »

Thanks for TR, and pics. I've done that loop myself, and loved it ! Great time to go, you probably didn't see anybody. The mosquitos are bad this time of year, I remember them buzzing around my face and body from morning until well into the night. The morning bathroom trek was the worst with those damn mozzies !!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Nice TR Mike, really liked the pictures! :) No wildflowers? How were the crowds?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
squirrel
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by squirrel »

maverick wrote:Nice TR Mike, really liked the pictures! :) No wildflowers? How were the crowds?
I don't have the patience to try to take close up flower shots with my cell phone, maybe next time ;)

The crowds were no problem. Lots of cars at the trail head, but few people far from the trail head. I saw a pairs of backpackers heading to Piute Meadow and another pair shortly after, but no one during the middle portion of my hike from Deer Lake to Woods Lake. Then I think two or three more solo hikers later on, and a group of 5 or so teenagers were heading out to Rosasco Lake when I was finishing. Great way for them to be starting summer break if you ask me.

Lots of horse poop on the return part of the trip, but I only encountered one pair of riders.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the additional info!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
NSchmit
Topix Newbie

Post by NSchmit »

I haven't been backpacking in a couple of years but will be going with a friend in 2 weeks. We're planning something similar but leaving out of Bell Meadow trailhead. We're planning 4 days hiking and hope to cover about 40 miles but I'm having a hard time deciding where to focus. Any advice given your recent hike? thanks.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Welcome to the forum NSchmit.

I personally did not care for the lower trail though I've only gone as far as West Fork Cherry Creek. I found it to be very sandy and a lot further from the streams than it appears on the Map. YMMV

As far as where to focus, the further East you go, the better. The lakes are nicer and the people fewer. You might consider Wood, Buck, Deer, Jewelry, Gem as a simi-loop. I'm not sure why you're wanting to start in Bell Meadows? Why not go in at Crabtree and then if you want you can do a loop out to Buck and back? It seems to me that entering at Bell is just adding uneventful miles to the trip.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
bdevlin
Topix Acquainted

Post by bdevlin »

The large waterfall in your photo, where abouts is that?
NSchmit
Topix Newbie

Post by NSchmit »

Thanks for the insights MountainMinstrel. I guess I was thinking Bell Meadows might take me further from the crowds right away. And the lakes you mention are on my list to see...I see I can make a loop. Do you have a favorite topo map to use? I just ordered Harrisons of the Emigrant Wilderness.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

I use the Harrison maps. Here's a couple of my trip reports from that area.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11657

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9631
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.