Tower Lake area hike 6/15-6/23 2015

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Lett
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Tower Lake area hike 6/15-6/23 2015

Post by Lett »

Ah! The first real jaunt of the season is always lots of fun with high expectations usually a too heavy pack. I started at Kennedy Meadow and dragged myself up the hill to Summit Creek and camped. It was here I lost my spoon (this has happened before, so no biggie) and improvised with a flat piece of wood. Works well and saves weight. :D

The next day it was over Brown Bear Pass and one of my favorite views! Emigrant Meadow Lake.

On the way up to Grizzly Meadow came the first annoying swarms of mozzie. But they were localized, staying close to home. I took the old high trail to Bond Pass. Scenic, no need to drop into Summit Meadow, and no bugs. Here is Grizzly Peak and a view down to Summit Meadow and Snow Lake.

I move slowly and camped here. The trail is usually clear but does get lost in brush at times. No problem since the direction along the side of the ridge is clear.

An easy walk down to Dorothy Lake and then cross country to Helen Lake, which is a beauty but I suspect no fish so it doesn't get many visits.
Here is looking back at Helen Lake from the climb to the easy pass going to Tower Lake.

And the view up toward said pass.

While camping at Helen a curious marmot wandered over and took great interest in my hiking poles.

I laid the poles down next to my tent and while napping heard a clatter and saw one pole was missing. The little varmit had hauled it off into a thicket of trees probably the better to gnaw on. Attempts at chewing on my tent had already been made. I put the poles in a tree! The next day we said good bye to each other and I headed to Tower Lake.

Here's the lake and the pass to Mary Lake.

There's a bit of a trail made by climbers but the snow made the going easier.
Looking back at Tower Lake.

And then the easy way down to Mary Lake.

Following Tilden Creek to Tilden Lake is in a pretty valley until one gets closer to Tilden Lake when it becomes woodsy and creek crossings are useful.

Then the PCT to Bond Pass and back to Kennedy trailhead. I talked to a young guy who had dayhiked (day run?) from Sonora Pass via Big Sam. I was impressed!
Last edited by Lett on Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tower Lake area hike 6/15-6/23 2015

Post by maverick »

Hey Mark,

The photo albums are requiring one to sign in, and also reads "Adult Content", maybe wrong albums? :unibrow:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Lett
Topix Novice

Post by Lett »

The links are correct from my end. And no "adult content" so I don't know what's going on.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Still nothing, bummer. :(
I would be great if others would chime in about whether they are getting access to the albums or not, please.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Lett
Topix Novice

Post by Lett »

I figured it out. Flicker can be a large pain!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thank you for getting it to work Mark, worth the wait, very nice pictures!

I laid the poles down next to my tent and while napping heard a clatter and saw one pole was missing. The little varmit had hauled it off into a thicket of trees probably the better to gnaw on. Attempts at chewing on my tent had already been made. I put the poles in a tree! The next day we said good bye to each other and I headed to Tower Lake.
Darn creatures love collecting/stealing shiny objects, chewing on sweaty articles, and messing with radiator hoses. :\

Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Love that route. I've followed same route Kennedy to Tower Lake, then XC sidehill to source of West Walker, Thompson Canyon, Peeler, Twin Lakes. I always found Summit Meadow to be an eerie place-bad water and just always struck me as creepy-don't really know why. Greatly enjoyed your TR and pics. Thanks.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Great route did you fish Mary or Tilden?

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Great report! I too am interested if you fished any of the lakes you visited, or saw any signs of fish.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
Lett
Topix Novice

Post by Lett »

I didn't fish. Helen has no fish. I saw a golden eagle cruising over Tilden, so it probably has fish. I saw fish in Tilden Creek.