ATVs in the mountains

A place to discuss any High Sierra adventure sport not covered by the other forums. Whitewater rafting, mountain biking, geocashing, cliff jumping, base jumping, 4X4 off-roading...and the list goes on!
FishaHallic
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

ATVs in the mountains

Post by FishaHallic »

Just found this site so this is my 1st post :) . I currently live in Florida but will be moving to Reno within a month or two. As you can tell by my screen name I love to fish and I also like to ride ATVs. My question is about ATVing in the Sierras or other local mountains. Is there any? Can I ride utility quads or side by side quads in this area and does anyone know of any ATV websites for these activities? Thanks for any help :righton:
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

You should be fine staying on existing dirt roads in Nevada. California, most dirt roads but check as some restrictions are coming down. Old rules allowed you to use any dirt "road" or skid trail but times are a changing. Lots of neat places around to ride under 2 hours away. Call local Forest Service or BLM offices in Reno or Carson City and up around Lake Tahoe contact the Eldorado or Tahoe National Forests. In the phone book under US Govment (sic). Check with the motorcycle shops or specialized fishing shops. Rubicon Trail, areas north of Truckee to the west of 89. Soon to be snowed in.
Piece of cake.
FishaHallic
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by FishaHallic »

Thanks for the reply I look forward to getting out there and riding some trails :righton: .