TR: Yosemite - Lyell Canyon Aug 7-8

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
old and slow
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

TR: Yosemite - Lyell Canyon Aug 7-8

Post by old and slow »

Since I had broken my toe in early July and hadn't done any significant fitness training in the meantime (and since it takes me 4 weeks to get into shape and only 4 days to get out of it), the plan was for a nice and easy but scenic High Sierra backpack trip. I didn't have a reservation but decided to drive up to Yosemite on Thursday Aug 6 with my 18 year old grandson DeVante and his 21 year old cousin Jalen to see what kind of wilderness permit we could score. Important note: this was not only Jalen's first time camping but his first ever backpack trip, something I should have given a little more thought to ahead of time. Another note: even though I am still very much a beginning level backpacker but because I mainly go on trips with my children and/or grandson, I usually end up taking a new backpacker with me i.e. one of their friends. Anyway, we got to the TM Wilderness Office at 11am sharp and secured a permit for the next day out of Lyell Canyon. So far, so good; if I just stay along Lyell Canyon, I would have my nice easy scenic trip.

First day, we set up at the backpacker's campground and took a day hike to picturesque Elizabeth Lake. The skies were gray and overcast but it was still a good warm-up for the next day and a cool experience for Jalen to kind of check out the Yosemite sights and scene, mingle with a lot of JMT and other hikers, etc. BTW, had a big although brief downpour that night.

Next day, Friday, while waiting for the Yosemite shuttle at the TM Market picnic tables, I was fortunate enough to meet and chat it up with Markskor (who was finally on his way back home after 2 months of dirtbag advetures in the Sierra and Sawtooth). After a brief discussion about the peculiar nesting habits of Brown-headed Cowbirds (we actually talked about a whole lot of other stuff too), Mark was kind enough to show me his 2015 Summer Sketchbook. Simply Awesome!! See the Campfire section for fotos of his drawings. Anyway, we finally made it to the trailhead and were about 3 miles or so down the trail when Jalen finally determined the hiking shoes he had borrowed did not fit and that his feet were absolutely killing him. Jalen ended up wearing some old, hole-riddled, thread-bare Vans tennis shoes for the remainder of the trip. Soon after Jalen changed shoes, it began to rain, then hail with some nice thunderclaps and a flash or two of far-off lightening. Jalen didn't want anymore of it, so we found a nice spot well away from both the trail and Lyell Fork, and set up camp a mile or so past the Ireland Creek junction.

It rained softly and intermttently for awhile but the temps were just perfect. I took a nap, took a walk, read my kindle, and just relaxed while the cousins explored along the creek. We had a nice dinner, talked awhile and I turned in around 830pm; the cousins an hour or so later. Although the night was bitterly cold, I wanted to spend one more night at this site and day-hike up to the Lyell Canyon base camp the next day but was outvoted. We left for home early Saturday the 8th.

Take-aways from this trip:

1) even though I handed out a list, double check everyone's gear (including quality and condition of the gear) and especially that of a first-timer.
2) my 32 degree bag was just barely warm enough even while wearing a long-sleeve t-shirt, a long sleeve hoodie and a puffy jacket. I think I need to invest in a 20 degree bag!
2) since I had some altitude issues on my last trip, I think staying at the BP campground the previous night helped me acclimate to the elevation. I also hydrated pre-trip and during, and ate better than the last time.
3) the Bear Creek brand of soups worked out well-- both Creamy Potato and Tortilla soups were easy to carry in the canister, simple to make and very flavorful.
4) I think I'm finally ready for a solo hike next year -- it's getting harder to organize a trip around other people's schedule, their issues, etc.

Some fotos:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
old and slow
Topix Acquainted

Re: TR: Yosemite - Lyell Canyon Aug 7-8

Post by old and slow »

a few more pictures:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Nice TR! Thanks for sharing. sorry you had to run into Mark ;)
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

Great report and pics. I've been in that area several times with my son. It's always good to hike with family, IMO. Looks like you enjoyed it.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Great to see some African American youths in the backcountry!!! :thumbsup: Being married to an African American woman (25yrs), it has always been hard for me to get her into backpack, she appreciates the beauty of the wilderness, but the concept of it all just doesn't jive with her. She always asks me if I have seen any African Americans while out, and my answer most of the time is no.
Thank you for this TR, will show it to my wife. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
old and slow
Topix Acquainted

Post by old and slow »

Tom, we had a great family time out there -- and although he was unprepared, even Jalen had fun.

Mav, please share our report with your wife. I took DeVante backpacking for the first time when he was 12; he's gone about once or twice every year since. He's pretty comfortable out there and could probably be fine on his own now. However, based on my own very small sample, DeVante is the only African American backpacker I have seen in all my backpack travels. This could be an interesting campfire topic although I feel many comments would just be conjecture.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Post by Scouter9 »

Cool report, and a great location for an introductory trip!

As you hiked up Lyell Canyon in the rain, we were up above you, passing over Vogelsang and then Evelyn Lake and eventually down to Lyell (we made camp slightly downstream of the Ireland Lake trail we descended). That rain was hail at Vogelsang, light snow at the Ireland Lake cutoff and (beautiful) light rain descending Ireland Creek to the Lyell Fork.

If only we'd been faster, your young men could have met mine: our Troop is colored like a box of crayons.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

What were the night time temps? I would have thought a 32 degree bag should have been enough also this time of year. If your bag hasn't had a washing in a while it might be time. I know that if my down bag is dirty the oils from my skin and sweat will prevent it from lofting and I get cold even in my 15 degree bag.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
old and slow
Topix Acquainted

Post by old and slow »

Gary, good point about cleaning the bag although it seemed to me an unusually cold night. THE NEXT Day we ran into some hikers camped not too far away at a similar elevation approx 8950 to 9040 who stated it had been a low of 25 degrees!