Missing Hiker and Dog near Donner Pass

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Missing Hiker and Dog near Donner Pass

Post by schmalz »

http://www.kcra.com/news/local-news/new ... r/39590994

Let's hope for a positive outcome on this one.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Missing Hiker and Dog near Donner Pass

Post by maverick »

Placer Co Sheriff's Dept:
The Department says if anyone was hiking in the Loch Leven area, near Hampshire Rocks Road, on Sunday or Monday, and saw a young man named Cody Michael and his German Shepherd, please call the Sheriff's Office at (530) 886-5375.
Hope this turns out well.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Brien
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Brien »

Fortunately, the weather is good right now, which will help with the S&R.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Fortunately, the weather is good right now, which will help with the S&R.
Yes, but snow is forecasted Fri-Sun.
Lakes are located here on our HST Map, for those who have never visited these lakes before: HST Map

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Brien
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Brien »

The only time I've ever encountered someone truly lost was up their by Salmon Lake. A couple of girls in shorts and t-shirts with no supplies were yelling for help. We went and found them and brought them back to our camp. It took a couple of different cell phones and climbing to a higher elevation to get a call out. Eventually we located their parents, way the hell away from us on a buff. I don't know how they got so separated. But we stayed with them until they made it down to us.

A picture from my hammock.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

According to a dog behavioral site:
There are countless reports of loyal German Shepherds who stayed beside their humans when they were sick, injured and even deceased.
If Cody is injured, hopefully his German Shepherd will be able to signal searchers (bark), on his location.

PS Thanks for the photos, remember those lakes as being quite stunning, little gems.

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

maverick wrote:hopefully his German Shepherd will be able to signal searchers (bark), on his location.
every dog is different. Hope they find them.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

I live right by this he could be over by salmon lakes, or going towards Lake Valley reservoir or following the old blue signs that will lead you (very hard to follow to Troy road) If he went towards the north fork of the American river there are many rattlesnakes down there and he would have NO cell service. Many ways to get lost/disoriented up there. My theory he is down by the north Fork almost everywhere else you have cell service.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

You're assuming he still has a good battery in that cell... also that he is able to use a cell phone.

Hope they find him regardless.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

PLACER COUNTY, Calif. (KCRA) —Search crews have suspended their search for a missing 23-year-old hiker in Placer County, officials said. They will resume their search Wednesday morning.

Cody Michael left home to go camping with his German Shepherd along the Loch Leven trail in Placer County Sunday, but didn’t return home as planned Monday.

Search teams with the Placer County Sheriff’s Office combed the trail and nearby areas for any signs of the hiker Tuesday. His silver SUV remained parked in the same spot where he left it Sunday.

Deputies said Michael is an outdoorsman and in good health.

“He definitely was prepared for coming out here for camping. He had the right equipment, he had warm clothing, a tent, a sleeping bag. His dog even had boots on him, and a little vest for his dog,” Sergeant Ty Conners with the Placer County Sheriff’s Office said.

“Monday at about 10:30 in the morning, they got the text from him saying his feet were cold, his shoes were wet, but he was fine and that he was all packed up, and (would) get out of here by noon,” Conners said.

The text also mentioned that his phone was dying. When no one heard from him Monday night, his parents filed a report, which prompted search crews to go looking for the hiker. The California Highway Patrol helicopter was also called in to help.

“There’s a ton of different areas that if they did slip or fall, they could fall in the crevice of the rocks, in the base of a tree, to where a helicopter couldn't see it,” Conners said.

There have been no signs of him on the popular and well-marked trail so far.

Officials said temperatures have remained above freezing and they didn’t see obvious signs of precipitation.

“It's very easy to get turned around (in) rural areas like this because of the tree line and you get lost in what you're doing because you’re sightseeing and you're not paying attention to what trail you're on,” Conners said.

If search teams are unsuccessful Tuesday evening, they will enlist the help of other agencies.

Pings to Michael’s cellphone came back unsuccessful.

Michael’s father told KCRA 3 that his son graduated from Sacramento State and recently started working with the Placer County Sheriff’s Office in the juvenile division.

Anyone who has seen Michael is asked to call the Placer County Sheriff's Office at 530-889-7800.

KCRA 3's Sarah Heise and Kathy Park contributed to this story.
http://www.kcra.com/news/local-news/new ... r/39590994