possible SNOW above 10k this weekend

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Weather Alert 6/11-6/13

Post by maverick »

This is from Yosemite to SEKI, percentages vary according to location and elevation, this specific report is for the Rae Lakes area.

Saturday:
A chance of rain and snow showers after 11am. Some thunder is also possible. Partly sunny, with a high near 54. South southwest wind 10 to 15 mph decreasing to 5 to 10 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Saturday Night:
A chance of rain showers before 11pm, then a chance of rain and snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 32. South southeast wind 5 to 15 mph becoming southwest in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Sunday:
Snow showers, mainly after 11am. Some thunder is also possible. High near 50. Southeast wind 10 to 15 mph becoming light east southeast in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Sunday Night:
Snow showers likely, mainly before 11pm. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 33. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming northwest in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Monday:
A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 11am. Partly sunny, with a high near 57. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming northeast in the morning.

Monday Night:
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 11pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 35. North northeast wind 5 to 10 mph.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

possible SNOW above 10k this weekend

Post by SSSdave »

RENO NWS Friday pm 6/20/216

thunderstorms Sat/Sun not expected to be too strong given somewhat
limited surface based instability, but even with clouds Sunday
lapse rates aloft are sufficient for embedded storms. Main issue
will be potential for wetting rains for Mono/Mineral Counties with
simulations showing 0.25 to 0.5" not out of the question. More
importantly we could see light snowfall above 10,000 ft in the
Sierra and White Mountain
s with 700mb temps dropping to +1 to +2C.
Convective cells could drag the snow level even lower, maybe to
9,000 ft.
We`re messaging the impacts and preparedness to hikers,
campers since this snow would be somewhat unusual for mid June.
-Chris
cfudge
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Weather Alert 6/11-6/13

Post by cfudge »

Thanks for posting this weather update. Fingers crossed things don't get too crazy in terms of lightening and snow.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Weather Alert 6/11-6/13

Post by maverick »

Your welcome Cfudge, and welcome to HST! :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: possible SNOW above 10k this weekend

Post by rayfound »

Planning a llv trip next week, with a front country fallback plan... this forecast isn't helping.
uscscott
Topix Novice

Post by uscscott »

Thanks Maverick for posting the weather update. I've got a trip planned to Dicks Lake later this week with that hopeful summit of Dicks Peak. I'm still kicking around whether I need an ice axe and the big holdup is if I want to spend $80+ times 2 and if it would be needed. Snow possibly down to 9,000 feet still puts it in the questionable zone.
seanr
Topix Regular

Post by seanr »

uscscott wrote: I've got a trip planned to Dicks Lake later this week with that hopeful summit of Dicks Peak. I'm still kicking around whether I need an ice axe and the big holdup is if I want to spend $80+ times 2 and if it would be needed. Snow possibly down to 9,000 feet still puts it in the questionable zone.
Doubtful that tomorrow's weather will impact your decision about ice axes days later. If you are lucky, breezes may keep skeeters from being much of a nuisance while camping.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... 1yhmZ9lDqA

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=CAZ072

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
seanr
Topix Regular

Post by seanr »

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HANFORD CA 114 PM PDT SAT JUN 11 2016 CAZ096-097-120415- /O.NEW.KHNX.WW.Y.0009.160612T1500Z-160613T0600Z/ SIERRA NEVADA FROM YOSEMITE TO KINGS CANYON- TULARE COUNTY MOUNTAINS- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...DEVILS POSTPILE...FLORENCE LAKE... LAKE THOMAS EDISON...TUOLUMNE MEADOWS...BASS LAKE...FISH CAMP... WAWONA...CAMP NELSON...GIANT FOREST...LODGEPOLE...GRANT GROVE... JOHNSONDALE 114 PM PDT SAT JUN 11 2016 ...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 8 AM TO 11 PM PDT SUNDAY... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN HANFORD HAS ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW ABOVE 10,500 FEET...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 8 AM TO 11 PM PDT SUNDAY. * TIMING...8 AM THROUGH 11 PM SUNDAY. * SNOW ACCUMULATION...2-4 INCHES ABOVE 10,500 FEET. ISOLATED LOCATIONS COULD SEE AS MUCH AS 8 INCHES OF SNOW. A DUSTING OF SNOW WILL BE POSSIBLE JUST BELOW 10,000 FEET. * MAIN IMPACT...RAPIDLY CHANGING WEATHER CONDITIONS FOR HIKERS IN THE SIERRA NEVADA ABOVE 10,500 FEET MAINLY FROM SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK NORTHWARD. HIKERS SHOULD PREPARE FOR WINTER LIKE CONDITIONS.

http://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwat ... 20advisory

Graveyard Peak area:

Tonight

A chance of rain showers before 11pm, then a chance of rain and snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 34. Light and variable wind becoming east northeast 5 to 10 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Sunday

Snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. High near 47. East wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches possible.

Sunday Night

A 40 percent chance of snow showers, mainly before 11pm. Some thunder is also possible. Cloudy during the early evening, then gradual clearing, with a low around 33. Light and variable wind becoming north northeast 5 to 10 mph after midnight.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
brandy
Topix Acquainted

Post by brandy »

I didn't see this post on Friday and the final weather report I checked late on Friday night for the area we were headed to in Golden Trout Wilderness indicated 20% chance of thunderstorms on Sunday after 11:00 a.m. We had planned to be out early that morning, so I wasn't expecting to encounter anything worrisome. We camped around 7000 ft. and had 10 minutes of light rain, but saw lightning flashes on and off for six hours Saturday night.
psykokid
Topix Regular

Post by psykokid »

So anybody get any fun weather on the east side this weekend? I was originally going to head up to the Coyote Flat area and poke around a bit, but had to stay home due to car trouble. Now I'm pretty sure that was a blessing in disguise. A friend was car camping in the Alabama Hills and elected to sleep in the car due to electrical storms. I also saw a post on Instagram where someone was up in the Cottonwood Lakes area and bailed on day 2 of 4 due to the same electrical storms and 4" of snow that stuck..