No longer carrying a headlamp

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

No longer carrying a headlamp

Post by rayfound »

So I needed to do some repairs on my backpack, having noticed the seam joining the frame stays to the hip belt were beginning to pull out. Since I had the needle and thread out at that point, I decided to make a couple upgrades.

First, I'd added my hst patch last year, but because I am an idiot. I put it where the strap would cover it. I corrected that today:

Next, I've become somewhat obsessed with cutting pack weight, and one thing I did was get a "luci" solar light. It solar charges, weighs 3.6oz, and provides loads of light for hours, and in a somewhat diffuse way - nice around camp.

Anyway... I used some 3m vhb tape to adhere a couple strips of Velcro to the lantern, then sewed the matching strips to the top of my backpack. Throw in a piece of cord and a little carabinier as insurance and for hanging in camp.

freestone
Topix Expert

Re: No longer carrying a headlamp

Post by freestone »

I have also given up on a headlamp and take the Luci instead. I never do any night hiking anyway except for maybe to the bushes and back, from my bag.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

I also gave up on a headlamp, at least for mid-summer trips. If I think I might have to walk in the dark I take my vintage Tikka (2.4oz with batteries). That thing lasts a long time on one set of AAAs.

But otherwise I take one of those little coin cell things. The one I have has a super bright LED. I could use it to walk at night, at least for a while. But with the limited battery life I just use it for camp, which in mid-summer means barely at all. Some trips I don't ever turn a light on.

That LED coin cell thing weighs 0.4oz and the biggest problem with it is that it's so small it would be easy to lose.

One additional downside is that I could have some sort of emergency (or someone nearby could) where a headlamp would be very useful. My lightweight approach might be considered irresponsible in that sense.
rayfound
Topix Expert

Post by rayfound »

Yeah, this Luci is admittedly not the absolute lightest option by any means, I just really like that I don't need to buy/carry batteries, it puts out A LOT of light, and was lighter than the cheap headlamp I have, especially considering I don't carry 3 extra AAAs with it.

Between this and switching from Steripen to Sawyer Mini - i get to leave the batteries at home.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

So no camera or watch then? Or do you have ones that you crank?
rayfound
Topix Expert

Post by rayfound »

Touche... No watch, yes camera, but it uses a proprietary li-ion cell. I usually carry my cellphone too.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have never carried a cell phone. The little service I can get is just not worth the weight.

I also have a Luci. I took it on several trips this summer and never used it. I see it will be nice when daylight hours get less, but right now, I have no need for light- I go to bed long before it is dark. The only thing I need is a small light if I have to take a pill at night, although I am pretty good at feeling an aspirin from allergy pill.

I just put my Luci in the sun when I get into camp. This seems to work well. I just pack it away while traveling.

Like you, I do not travel at night. Ever. I would rather be late a day, or even bivy instead of traveling at night.

However, when deleting small items (few ounces) to lighten the pack, it makes more sense to me to simply leave out the similar ounces of food or water carried. Carry one cup less water and you save as much. And unless you regularly come out with absolutely NO food left, you can take off a few ounces here too.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

By the way- that cord you are using to attach the Luci to your pack is WAY overdone. See how much the cord plus mini-biner weigh. There is some really thin cord out there that would work as well.
rayfound
Topix Expert

Post by rayfound »

Actually, you're seeing a bunch of other cord for other reasons on my pack/stored. It is really just a 8" chunk on the luci for hanging and as insurance for the velcro.

Pack weight is 21.9lbs for 4 days/3 nights, incl about 2.5lbs fishing gear, shared tent, and bear canister.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

rayfound wrote:Touche... No watch, yes camera, but it uses a proprietary li-ion cell. I usually carry my cellphone too.
Then I guess I don't understand your aversion to batteries with respect to a headlamp or water treatment.