Trailstar knockoff from aliexpress.com (China) for $63!!

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
punchcard
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Trailstar knockoff from aliexpress.com (China) for $63!!

Post by punchcard »

I ordered one a couple days ago too. Kinda crazy.
Asolthane
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Asolthane »

Fun! I can't wait to compare notes. Did you get gray or orange?

I use have a BA Fly Creek 2, but it actually belongs to my girlfriend and her sister, so I need something else. I asked for a Tarptent Notch for xmas/bday, and I am not sure why I would need this as well...but I just think they look cool and it was such a good deal (assuming it's not a piece of junk)
Asolthane
Topix Regular

Post by Asolthane »

Which shelters do you use, and when do you think you will use this as opposed to others? I was thinking I would use this when there aren't bugs, and I am going with another person, although under those conditions you can fit 2 in the notch...with much less room though I guess.

Or if I was going to go in the rain and I wanted a big shelter to cook under?
Asolthane
Topix Regular

Post by Asolthane »

Also they have a bug inner for 40 bucks that weights 12oz and would work with this.
Oubliet
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Oubliet »

Do keep us posted.

My current go-go shelter is the BetaLight. It'd be nice to have a good shelter that doesn't have a zipper that can fail.
punchcard
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by punchcard »

I got orange. Do you have a link to the bug inner net?
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

I reviewed the product descriptions on the site and they seemed kind of weird. Weights of the tents seemed kind of heavy for the thickness of the fabric. Also the dimensions of the sleeping pads were unreal. The thickness of one pad was listed as 90 cm! Dang that is almost 3 feet! Anyhow I'd be a little wary based on what I read.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Asolthane
Topix Regular

Post by Asolthane »

punchcard wrote:I got orange. Do you have a link to the bug inner net?
I got the grey one. This is the inner that might work.
[url]https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3F-pede ... 0.0.LUOWED[/url ]

I think it might need to be modified, which would be a fun MYOG DIY project for me rather than starting from scratch, and would cost way less. The inner is made by 3f UL gear, and their stuff looks to be (from the photos) pretty high quality compared to some of the other cheap gear on that site. I'm gonna get the trailstar knockoff first and see how it looks before I decide to order that inner, but if anyone has a solo or duomid (they have knockoffs of those too) that inner might work well. I'll certainly report back if I get it.
Asolthane
Topix Regular

Post by Asolthane »

oldranger wrote:I reviewed the product descriptions on the site and they seemed kind of weird. Weights of the tents seemed kind of heavy for the thickness of the fabric. Also the dimensions of the sleeping pads were unreal. The thickness of one pad was listed as 90 cm! Dang that is almost 3 feet! Anyhow I'd be a little wary based on what I read.
Indeed, I am also quite wary. Hopefully it isn't a waste of $60 bucks! I will let you know, it takes forever to receive, looks like ususally about a month.