Glacier Divide - crossing btwn Mt Darwin & Powell?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Quercus23
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Glacier Divide - crossing btwn Mt Darwin & Powell?

Post by Quercus23 »

Hey folks -

Planning a trip along segment two of Roper's High Route from Dusy Basin to Lake Italy for next June/July. Unfortunately, not very interested in 26 trail miles between the South Lake trailhead and Evolution Valley.

I'm looking in to alternatives to drop in to the JMT south of Evolution, possibly heading out of Lake Sabrina, before continuing the High Route up along Snow Tongue Pass and Humphrey's Basin.

Anyone have experience or recommendations for Class II-III passes or cols in the vicinity of Mt. Darwin and Mt. Powell?

I've done Lamarck Col, which is a decent fallback, but puts us in to the North of Evolution Valley (which I've never been to, and sounds beautiful).

Thanks for any recommendations folks can provide, and Happy Thanksgiving!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Glacier Divide - crossing btwn Mt Darwin & Powell?

Post by maverick »

Hi Quercus23,

Welcome to HST!
The three options you have between those peaks are Haeckel, Wallace, and Echo Col. Would recommend doing Echo, then Haeckel, and lastly Wallace Col.

Echo Col: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8882
Wallace Col: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=7903
Haeckel Col: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9225
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Quercus23
Topix Novice

Post by Quercus23 »

Thanks @Maverick. Really appreciate the recommendations - will check them out!
Moonwalker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Moonwalker »

maverick wrote:Hi Quercus23,

Welcome to HST!
The three options you have between those peaks are Haeckel, Wallace, and Echo Col. Would recommend doing Echo, then Haeckel, and lastly Wallace Col.

Echo Col: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8882
Wallace Col: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=7903
Haeckel Col: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9225
Though not clear from the difficulty ratings, Echo Col is much more controlled than is Wallace (I don't know how it compares to Haeckel). Also, Echo Col (class 2-3) is significantly more challenging than Lamarck Col (which you mentioned having done), esp. with a backpack.