Down Second Recess From Hilgard Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rpastel
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Down Second Recess From Hilgard Pass

Post by rpastel »

I am planning a cross country trip this summer, and I am considering a section from Lake Italy up Hilgard Pass down Second Recess to Mono Creek. Has anyone done the route? Secor says Hilgard pass is class 2 and to negotiate the difficult headwall of Second Recess on the west side. Does anyone have more details on the route? Does it make sense to avoid the headwall by going SW from Hilgard Pass over the ridge to Mist Lake?

My experiences and preferences:

What level of backpacking experience do you have?
Level 4- Comfortable with trail and/or x-country travel

What terrain are you comfortable with?
- Class 2 terrain/pass/x-country
- Class 3 terrain/pass/x-country (Can do, but will be hiking a lone, so prefer to minimize.)
- River crossings
- Snow travel/Glacier crossings (Soft afternoon snow - I do not plan on carrying an ice axe or crampons.)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Down Second Recess From Hilgard Pass

Post by maverick »

Hi Rpastel,

Welcome to HST! Please use the search feature, you'll find numerous information available on this section. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rpastel
Topix Novice

Post by rpastel »

Hi Maverick,

I've tried unsuccessfully. If you know of a post please give me the URL.

Thank you,
Robert
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Do a search for second recess in this forum and you should come up with the relevant thread.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rpastel
Topix Novice

Post by rpastel »

Hello Oldranger

I've made many searches of this forum, including the terms "Second Recess" and "Hilgard Pass", and I've not found the information I'm seeking. All the posts, I've found talk about descending to Second Recess from Gabbot Pass and Mills Creek or traversing Mono Divide from Gabbot Pass to Hilgard Lake.

I have not been successful in finding a post that addresses ascending or descending the headwall in the southern branch of Second Recess from Lake 11102.

Thank you,
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.37200,-118.82233&z=15&t=T

Well one can climb 1500 feet from Second Recess meadows up to barren of fish Mist Lake as steep class 2. But the ridge southeast of Mist looks at least class 3 on topo. We've climbed around atop the arete ridge of point 11901 to the northeast. I took a good look and 35mm Kodachromes of the possibility of climbing from SR up to lake 11102 through that notch and did not like what I saw.

Recall someone on a web board asking a similar question years ago and getting no answer. Likewise nothing over at Summitpost on the Hilgard page. Just looking at the topo shows dropping over Mono Divide anywhere in that area is difficult because it all snow cornices up in winters that makes for cliffs and late summer snow. Climbers will always work Hilgard from the south or Gabb ridge. So probably a task for rope and protection work and that is probably why there are no reports anywhere. I've been over Gabbot as that is the obvious route.

David
http://www.davidsenesac.com/2016_Trip_C ... les-0.html
Last edited by SSSdave on Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

What is wrong with this pass: HST Map

There is a small permanent snow field on the northern side of the pass and it is quite steep, time it's crossing for the right time of the day to avoid hard/icy snow. Descend down to the lake below the pass (Lake 11320), continue descending staying west of Lake 11102, stay well west of the drainage, there are some ledges that you will have to start to negotiate starting at 10800ft, if you have good route finding skills you can keep this whole descent from Hilgard Pass into Second Recess a class 2.

Here is some info on alternate routes: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9253&start=0#p68740
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Ok this is how I found the old post and thread that included some pics. Did search for Mist Lake, then went back to May 2013 posts and found the relevant thread. Maverick just directed you to it!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

That old HST thread or sub-links says little about getting over the pass Mav linked to except that it is class 2 and nothing about the cliff band notch north of lake 11102. Obviously the quite shady north face of that col will hold snow into late summer so likely not be class 2 till then after most winter snow has melted. If one inspects the topo lines directly above the pass snowfield a bigger issue is they are steep enough that if still covered with snow, one would slide the whole distance. Might be possible to turn over the slight rib just west after snow melts where it shows lines somewhat wider but that is a big IF to find out.

David
rpastel
Topix Novice

Post by rpastel »

Thank you all for the information and advice. Apparently, Maverick has made the descent, and the route he describes is what I was thinking of doing. I am encouraged that it possible to get off the headwall class two-ish. I'll bring an ice axe even though I expect to descend the pass in early August, and I'll add an extra day to my trip just in case I need to turn around. If I'm successful, I'll make a trip report, and perhaps we can add more description to Hilgard Pass.

SSSdave, thank you for the information about Mist Lake area, good thing I don't fish. By the way, your photos are beautiful.

Thank you,