Permit Question - North Lake to South Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
JorgeGhr
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Permit Question - North Lake to South Lake

Post by JorgeGhr »

Hi everyone! I am George and currently living in the Seattle Washington area.

I plan to hike North Lake to South Lake the week of July 9th with my son (16). I grew up going on family fishing trips and staying at Bishop Creek Lodge and Parcher's but never hiked or backpacked in the area. I remember reading about all of these trails when I was a kid but never hiked them! This summer my son and I are going to do it!

I have a couple questions:

For permits do I make a reservation from Recreation.gov for "Piute Pass -North Lake JM15"? and will this permit be good for my entire trip?
Does anyone recommend any guide books?
What will the temps be like this week?

Thanks!
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Permit Question - North Lake to South Lake

Post by LMBSGV »

Yes on the permit. If they ask for campsite locations, just put in something/anything since no one will be checking once you're on the trail.

For guidebooks, Sierra South from Wilderness Press. Also, search here for trip reports since those will give you a good idea for the many possible side trips as well as more details on the trails and possible campsites.

The temperatures can vary, but probably 60s and 70s during the day and 40s at night, though it could get colder at night.

Are you planning on two cars to shuttle between South Lake and North Lake or hitching?

While it's only January, so far it's been an average to higher than average snow year so plan on snow in July on Piute and Bishop Passes. They aren't treacherous, but trekking poles are a good idea.

I hope you're planning on several days so you can do side trips, layover, or simply not cover as many miles on particular days. There's magnificent scenery for most of the trip and I think it's a shame when people rush through it.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Be prepared to deal with mosquitoes too, physically and mentally.

Check out the numerous TR's here on HST using the "search" feature, for example:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15312&hilit=north+l ... +lake+loop
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6758&hilit=complete#p46912
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14674&p=109405&hili ... op#p109387
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
JorgeGhr
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JorgeGhr »

Thanks for the info everyone!