Westbound High Sierra Trail Permits

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Nikodemos
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Westbound High Sierra Trail Permits

Post by Nikodemos »

I've had a fruitless time trying to get information about the proper permit for a westbound High Sierra Trail trip I plan in Sept 2017 (Whitney Portal to Crescent Meadows). The recreation.gov site indicates I should be able to request a "Overnight Visiting Mt Whitney" permit, but there is not SEKI options for any of the 64 available trails (most are for JMT/AA/PCT/GT).

For eastbound, it's easy. You just go up to Lodgepole. Can you just do a walk-up to the Eastern Sierra InterAgency Visitor Center in Lone Pine?
psykokid
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Westbound High Sierra Trail Permits

Post by psykokid »

Because you start in Inyo NF, not SEKI. Look for Mt Whitney Trail, visiting Whitney if you plan on reserving. Depending on when you are starting and the size of your group, your chances of getting a walk up midweek in Sept is pretty pretty good.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Yes, I have done just that. There are quite a few cancellations. You have to be willing to either go right away if that day's permit is what you get, or wait a day and try again. This works best for after Labor Day and mid-week summers. May not work for the busy weekends. There is a small chance you will not succeed- in that case just have another trip planned. You can connect with the High Sierra Trail from other trailheads too.

Once you get your permit, you are not obligated to camp exactly where you say each night. All you need to do is get the permit to get through the Whitney Zone. Your permit from the Whitney RS is valid for your entire trip (unless they have changed things). You can change your mind on the trai - even come out a different trailhead, or go on a different trail than what you say. Technically, maybe not- but I have never even been stopped by a ranger. I usually stick to my schedule simply because that is what I leave at home for my plan. Not particularly safe to go helter-skelter in case you get hurt. If I am solo, I do not get permits- the Whitney Zone reserved permits are expensive. If in a group, then that is different.
Nikodemos
Topix Newbie

Post by Nikodemos »

Psy,

Looking at https://www.recreation.gov/permits/Inyo ... rkId=72203, I'm not seeing a Mt Whitney Trail option. I can chance a walk-up, but as I'm coordinating with others, I'd like the ability to do a reservation.
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

As Wandering Daisy said, you can try your luck getting a walkup permit in Lone Pine on the day of the beginning of your trip or for the following day.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/re ... ecid=20698

On the other hand, if you want to reserve a permit in advance for a westbound trip starting at Whitney Portal, then you must enter the lottery, which starts Feb 1.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/pas ... rdb5150055
The recreation.gov link you went to won't allow you to choose this type of permit.
psykokid
Topix Regular

Post by psykokid »

Ska-T wrote: On the other hand, if you want to reserve a permit in advance for a westbound trip starting at Whitney Portal, then you must enter the lottery, which starts Feb 1.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/pas ... rdb5150055
The recreation.gov link you went to won't allow you to choose this type of permit.
I forgot about the infamous quota system. Since you are planning on going in September (after Labor Day) what I would do first is enter the lottery. If you get your dates in the lottery, great. If not then on to Plan B. As the others have mentioned there are a few other trail heads that you can use to start the HST, most notably the ones out of Horseshoe Meadows. Reserve a permit starting from there and then go up a day early and try to get a Whitney main trail as a walk in. If you get it, great. If not, then oh well you have your Plan B permit already reserved.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

If there are 1-3 people I would just do a walkup. Although I wouldn't do a Whitney start to begin with, because I just don't do "cattle trails" -- herds of people on the trail give me incentive to plan differently.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There are classic Sierra trails that are crowded and subject to lotteries. Although I too do not regularly do these trails because of crowds, they are crowded for a good reason. Everyone should do the Whitney Trail at least once. It is absolutely amazing. Best way to avoid people is to go off-season. As you are doing. Same for climbing Half Dome. Pain in the A with permits now required, but stil worth doing once. Many other trails too.

My philosophy is never let a hard-and-fast idea of "wilderness" get in the way of seeing outstanding scenery. When I go to these places, I simply do not have unrealistic expectations; I do not expect solitude. And honestly, you meet a lot of really nice people.

I have done most of these sierra classics getting only a walk-in permit. But not fair, because I am retired and waiting a day is not a big issue. :D

Good Luck and I am sure you will have a wonderful trip.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Totally agree both about how to get the Whitney pass through permit (or whatever it's called) and hiking up Whitney or hiking the JMT. The first time I went up Whitney as a day hike, I was blown away by the beauty and didn't even acknowledge how many others were hiking up.

Two recommendations for the High Sierra Trail, travelling east to west: 1) Kern Hot springs will rejuvenate you, at least it did me on a different trip; 2) make sure you look back down at the Big Arroyo when you reach Kaweah Gap, the view I had just before sunset when I was headed in the opposite direction down into the Big Arroyo was one of the most fantastic I have ever seen. Photos, especially mine, don't do it justice.
The Big Arroyo From Kaweah Gap.jpg
Those aren't tiny shrubs, it's just that big.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.