Recs for an early July trip (~8 days, ~70 miles)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
corvus
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Recs for an early July trip (~8 days, ~70 miles)

Post by corvus »

Hey y'all, this is my first post so please let me know if I'm leaving anything important out. These forums are super awesome and incredibly helpful.

So -- I had planned to do the Circle of Solitude (https://calitrails.com/2013/02/03/circl ... canyon-np/) this summer with a couple of friends. Buuuuuut: I need to be done with the trip by mid July. I'm looking at the snowpack right now and thinking that Forrester Pass is unlikely to be a good scene at that point. This is Forrester in late June 2011: http://noahstrycker.com/2011/06/forester-pass/ I'm an experienced backpacker/routefinder but haven't ever used an ice axe.

I'm interested in suggestions for backup options that are likely not to be snowed in during the first two weeks of July after a big winter. Maybe the Trinity Alps or Marble Mountains? Other places in the Klamath-Siskiyou area? Anyone have thoughts on spots further north, and whether the slightly lighter snowpack and lower elevation in the northern Sierra makes those better bets?

What I'm looking for: about 8 days, about 10 miles/day, some flex on either of those -- could do less mileage on the main route and take some basecamping/exploring days. Terrain preferences: I was really looking forward to high Sierra terrain, since I did the HST a couple years ago and would love to get back. I'd like to get out of the trees and get views, big bonus points for lakes and swimming options, strong preference for less traffic than the JMT. Some cross-country sections are fine.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Recs for an early July trip (~8 days, ~70 miles)

Post by balzaccom »

Tough criteria. I expect the snow level in early July to be around 9.000 feet, and it will linger around there on the north faces of passes etc. for at least a couple more weeks. And the further north you go (Trinity Alps) the lower the snow level will be.

What about a through hike? from Tahoe to as far south as you can get? You might be able to get as far as Sonora Pass (or at least come out via Clark Fork) without hitting major snow issues...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

If there weren't extensive closures due to closed roads and last year's fire, I'd suggest the coast. I don't think you're going to be able to string together a long Sierra hike without snow until late July.
corvus
Topix Novice

Post by corvus »

Maybe the answer is to get more comfortable hiking in snow and carry microspikes? Or learn to use an ice axe?

I've been keeping the Lost Coast as a backup -- I've been up there, but not in years, and there's that whole section below Shelter Cove I've never done. I think Big Sur is probably out, between crowds and the fire.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Crowds in Big Sur? The people living there are struggling with huge washouts and one of the bridges is falling apart - no one's getting down there. The wilderness is closed due to the fire damage and severe washouts of the trail system are inevitable.

Lost Coast will be similar - the roads to trailheads were iffy in the best of times, if there was weather. I have not checked but would expect similar road issues and trail washouts.

As for ice axe... http://www.sierramountaincenter.com/tou ... kills/#all
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Corvus,

Welcome to HST! If you would like to reqest places outside of the Sierra the please post in the "Beyond The Sierra Nevada" section at the bottom of the page. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
corvus
Topix Novice

Post by corvus »

Thanks Maverick! Wasn't sure whether to post here or there since I'd prefer to do a Sierra trip but am looking for options elsewhere too.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Consider the area between Badger pass road and the park boundary. Some interesting terrain and lakes. Not High Sierra but an alternative. May have to deal with nasty creek crossings and snow on the n. slopes, though. may be able to acces from Quartz Mt. Trailhead and if not more than likely from Chiquito Creek Campground. If you can't scout ahead of time I would opt for Chiquito creek as it is quite a trip to Chiquito Creek if you Select Quartz Mt. TH and can't get close (there are several places where the road to Quartz trailhead traverses n. slopes and the snow will stick for quite a while).
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

It's not nearly as wild as the true High Sierra, but how about the eastern (Carson Range) half of the Tahoe Rim Trail? Because it is in the rain shadow of the main Sierra crest, the Carson Range gets less snow which melts out sooner. You could do something like Tahoe City to South Lake Tahoe on the east side of the lake. Actually, doing it while there are still melting snowbanks is probably a good idea, as many stretches of trail on the east side of the lake have limited water sources. The trail is in and out of the forest, but the views of Lake Tahoe are just spectacular! You don't need a wilderness permit for the TRT on the east side of the lake (only for the Desolation Wilderness section on the west side, which will likely be too snowy still in early July), so this could be a last-minute backup plan. Check out the Tahoe Rim Trail Association website for more information.
-Phil
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

You put that you are Level 4, yet you have never used an ice axe. In my mind, those do not fit together. Unless we get warm rain that melts the snowpack (flooding us all), you're ll be on snow almost anywhere. You should consider waiting until later in the season, going to lower elevation, or getting some professional training in ice axe, crampon use, stream crossing, etc.via REI, NOLS, or someone else.

Actually, doing an extended summer trip on packed snow is exhilarating. There is a serene beauty. It is physically demanding and something you will never forget.