Emigrant/N Yosemite Destinations

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Emigrant/N Yosemite Destinations

Post by kpeter »

Like many of you, I am contemplating where to go in a high snow year in June and July, and the obvious possibilities for me are Northern Yosemite and Emigrant, since those have been my regular early-season spots for years. I am guessing that instead of going in early June I will need to wait longer.

Here are the places I have already visited:
Shingle Spring to Kibbie Lake and vicinity
Hetch Hetchy to Vernon and vicinity
Shingle Spring to Many Island/Boundary Lake and vicinity
Crabtree to Deer/Long/Wood/and Buck Lakes
Crabtree to Roseco/Pingree/Big/Red Can/ Leighton/ Karls

I have not packed out of Gianelli, Relief Reservoir, Twin Lakes, or anywhere else north of Mammoth. What kind of trips from those or similar trailheads are worth doing early season?

I've got reservations for a north rim traverse Snow Creek via North Dome to Yosemite Falls following WDaisy's trail report, for early June. Now I'm wondering if there will be too much snow on top even for that. Will depend upon the speed of the melt, I guess.

So while we can't predict the speed of the melt, can we figure out the order in which these areas will become available? I'm not thrilled about long stretches of hiking over snow--though I have done it--and I am very cautious about stream crossings. The Vernon and Boundary Lake Hikes, for example, did not require any significant stream crossings.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Emigrant/N Yosemite Destinations

Post by balzaccom »

So the simple answer is that there aren't many places that open up for early hiking in the Emigrant Wilderness, Gianelli, for example, is always the last trailhead to open, because the road is snowed in. But here are a couple of thoughts:

On the east side, you might be able to get up the Leavitt Meadows trail, although how far you get will depend on snow. And at some point you have to cross the Walker River...which can be an adventure early in the season. But at least you can get six miles up the river and camp, and maybe fish. Stops could include Roosevelt, Lane and Secret Lakes, as well.

Further south, the first trailhead to open is Buckeye--but that's a long hike up a canyon without much in terms of major scenery or destinations...And the pass into Yosemite might well still be snowed in. And there are stream crossings in that route, too.

Early season hikes on the west side might include Clark Fork (a simple overnight up and back) and Sword/Lost Lakes (same thing.)

Crabtree Cabin might be open earlier, but once you get past Camp and Bear Lakes, you'll have to cross a creek--often roaring in the early season.

Emigrant is one giant stone bathtub, and there's no place for the water to go except into the creeks while the snow is melting. So while some of the trails may be open, the creeks tend to be fierce early on. Be careful, and be safe.

We have trip reports on all of these hikes on our website (in my signature line below) except Buckeye...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Although not a long trip, I have gone in Kennedy Meadows to Kennedy Lakes early. There are no major creek crossings and it is quite pretty. Also, this would be before they put cows up there to graze. If you do not mind walking on snow you could go into Emigrant Lakes- two passes let you do a loop. You have to wade but I do not recall creek crossing being too bad. Kennedy Meadows is actually a pretty low elevation trailhead - about 7000 feet.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

There tends to be a mindset of many that regardless of how snowy a winter was that when summer arrives that they still have to go somewhere in the High Sierra. Will address the general attitude we on this board are likely to see a lot of in the coming months and not kpeter specifically.

Instead I would suggest alternatives to the High Sierra and simply delay trips there to when they can be enjoyed without tromping over melting snows while open areas are unpleasantly wet and soggy. I do realise that some people actual like backpacking into melting summer snow areas probably because they are not winter snow enthusiasts while any snow is novel to them.

So where does one go in late May and and June during heavy snow years? There are many zones down in the lower sagebrush foothills of the range that are almost totally ignored by people that once a person actually visits these places, one will find they are interesting and aesthetic. Places where one won't see any other people and could yell out loudly and no one would hear anything. Oh there may be 4wd roads nearby in the distance that see a vehicle once a week or so. In fact mule ears, arrowleaf balsomwood, and a long list of other wildflower species cover many of those areas nicely green during that period. When people do drive through those areas in mid summer they are long since gone dried, brown, and hot with all the small streams gone dry.

You say you don't have a high wheelbase Jeep to drive 4WD roads to get there? Well that is why those kind of places are nearly always empty of anyone and if you want to get there, and camp there, you need to backpack in. You say there ain't any fishing and that is your thing. You say mountain lions might eat you. Yes both are true.

A few examples out of a long list of possibilities and please also take a look at the map Satellite tabs:

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=36.97921,-118.30859&z=15&t=T

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.30362,-118.59059&z=15&t=T

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.86886,-119.01622&z=15&t=T

Now what about July when the High Sierra may still be mostly snow covered in northerly exposures even though sunnier aspects have melted out?

Its a job for the backpacking topo person to look at where trails and destinations are on south facing slopes. Places of granite bedrock facing south are especially wise choices. Like Mattie Lake. And such fun crosscountry getting there!

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.93120,-119.43834&z=15&t=T

Or maybe out of Hetch Hetchy again, but target Ardeth and Bearup Lakes?

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=38.04755,-119.71004&z=14&t=T

Or out of Edison going up to the south facing Graveyard Lakes basin that would have outstanding views to the south and southeast of many snowy peaks.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.44209,-118.96872&z=14&t=T

David
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The reason I like early season trips, is to avoid mosquitoes, see less people (great time to see more crowded destinations), and the mountains are quite pretty with snow on them. It has nothing to do with novelty. I grew up in snow country, where if you were not willing to learn to deal with snow, you had a very shortened climbing (or backpacking) season. Plus, in areas like the North Cascades and Canadian Rockies, snow is preferable to bushwhacking. And for climbing the big volcanic mountains, snow is preferable to loose vocanic junk. I have climbed Rainier, Mt Hood, Mt. St. Helens (before it blew off its top), Shasta, to name a few, in the spring, as early as late March.

I usually do several trips before 4th July (even in those high snow years) and then take off two weeks during mosquito hell. That is just my preference. Others may choose to avoid early season snow but are not bothered by mosquitoes as much as I am. I would never discourage anyone from doing an early season trip, even in a high-snow year. I have also done plenty of camping on snow so if that were involved, Ok with that too as long as I take what's needed.

Agreed, if you only have time for one big trip a year, then I too would wait until everything was open. But, for me, backpacking is a year-round activity. By June I have already done much of the lower country and coast. I am ready for the Sierra!

Back in the day when George Creek was closed in the summer, we would go in there early May and climb Williamson and go up to the cirque under Vacation Pass. Now you are allowed in that area later.

June in a high snow year is also a perfect time to do the White Mountains from the east side. If you think you are a hot-shot Sierra off-trail backpacker, go try the White Moutains- it will humble you!
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Some very useful ideas, thank you! Kennedy Lakes would also introduce me to the Kennedy Meadows trailhead. WD, the other loop you were referring to doesn't involve Kennedy Lake, does it? You mean south through Sheep Camp to Emigrant, Buck, Deer, and north through Upper Relief Valley?

And SSSDave, your suggestions remind me that I have thought about Edith Lake for years and never got there. I wonder if that region of Yosemite would be a good July destination this year.

Each of you have given me trip destinations I have enjoyed before, so I really appreciate these ideas!