Humphrey's Basin: Knob Lake -> Piute Creek route?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
itsmekirby
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Humphrey's Basin: Knob Lake -> Piute Creek route?

Post by itsmekirby »

Has anybody tried going directly between Knob Lake and Piute Creek? Looks like about a 20 degree slope on the map, which seems doable, class 2 at most, but it would be comforting to hear if anyone has tried it and knows the ground truth of what the terrain is like.

My idea is to spend day 1 going over Piute Pass, exploring Humphrey's basin, then camping at Knob Lake and spending an evening to head up Pilot Knob. Descending straight to Piute creek from there the next day would speed up the itinerary a bit.
dougieb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Humphrey's Basin: Knob Lake -> Piute Creek route?

Post by dougieb »

Was at knob lake a couple years ago. I didnt head straight down to the creek but I don't think it would be that difficult to pick your way down, definitely not more than class 3.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
lyannasnark
Topix Newbie

Post by lyannasnark »

yes I have done it; it is very doable
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Iyannasnark,

Welcome to HST!
Care to write up a TR and post some photos of your trip, it would surely be helpful, to the next person, asking about this particular write. Thanks :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org