Using HSC as base camps for exploring

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kev_800
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Using HSC as base camps for exploring

Post by kev_800 »

Hi Everyone:

I've got a group of friends of intermediate hiking ability that all want to spend some time in the Yosemite high country but several of them don't want to do back-country camping...thus we settled on the high sierra camps. However, I didn't win the lottery (again). The only high sierra camp that is available for groups our size (~6) is Vogelsang. None of our group have done the south loop or have been that direction before.

Thus my question is: would it be fun & interesting to hike out to Vogelsang for 3 nights and explore the areas around there via day-hikes and potentially scrambling some non-technical peaks? I've searched around and can't find any posts for people that have detailed their experience doing this. Or would 3 nights just be too long to stay at one of the HSCs? We'd ideally like to see a diversity of nature - meadow, alpine forest, barren peaks, etc.

Thanks for any advice in advance.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Using HSC as base camps for exploring

Post by gary c. »

I'm not sure just where your friends draw the line on back-country camping but you can always stay at the HSC backpackers camps. It would give you access to the bathrooms, maybe a shower, and you could probably make advance arrangements for some meals. Some of those more experienced with the HSC's would know for sure just what you might do.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

"When the water supply permits, May Lake, Sunrise, and Merced offer complimentary hot showers and laundry wash basins for overnight guests. During the dry season we may limit the length of showers. Please note that showers are for registered camper guests only. " So no showers for backpackers in the backpacker camp.

Probably there is a pit toilet for the backpackers as well. You can reserve meals only as an option....

As for exploring, of course you can do that. Plenty of things in Yosemite to do. Walking up Vogelsang Peak, going to Emeric and Boothe, etc. From May Lake you might walk to the top of Hoffman.
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

Last summer I backpacked the HSC route and stayed in nearby campsites at Merced and Vogelsang camps. Any rate, the Vogelsang backpackers camp is about 200 yards from the main camp. You have your own bear lockers and some nice patch to pitch a tent with some privacy. But you also can walk the 200 yards or so to use their toilets. I do not recall whether we could pay for a shower; I tend to think no. But I also know that the folks who run the camps are really cool folk and if you get in their good graces rules can likely be bent. The camps do have pit toilets, but they are extremely well maintained given they accommodate different type of hiker (mostly retiree set and some families). Really clean. I did not eat any meals during my 1 night in the camp, but I am almost certain you can reserve most days - but I would not 100% rely on it - especially for breakfasts. Everyone we talked to said the meals were fabulous. Vogelsang is a reasonably easy day hike up from Tuolomne and definitely seems to have some nice side trips you could do to explore the area. I think a great option if you have to compromise this way, but friends are willing to be in a tent. It is backcountry, but you have a real tether given the proximity to the camp and all the people it brings in. And its only about 4 hours to Tuolomne Meadows.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Are you and your buds taking along fishing gear? From Voglesang, there are 6+ lakes holding fish within easy day's day-hike possibilities.
While camping near the HSC is OK (for utilities), suggest camping up at Upper Townsley for solitude.
Always good to ask the chef at all HSC's when up there if there are any dinner openings...pricey but... :D .
Mountainman who swims with trout
kev_800
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kev_800 »

Thanks for all the info. I'm not too concerned about showers, as we could always take a cold swim to rinse off. I guess what I am asking is:

would it be fun & interesting to hike out to Vogelsang for 3 nights? Or would 3 nights at Vogelsang get boring? I know there is a ton to do in Yosemite, but what about within a 10 mile RT hike from Vogelsang? We're open to swimming, fishing, and climbing non-technical areas.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Maybe spin this discussion around a bit. Kev, why not propose features you see on the map that you might find interesting and describe something you want to do. Members can then suggest subtle changes to your itinerary.

I'm not sure why you're really trying to tie yourself the Vogelsang HSC. When i'm in that area, I steer clear of the HSC. I stay at Evelyn and migrate to Townsley after a layover day.
mkbgdns
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by mkbgdns »

I absolutely see Vogelsang as a great place to spend 3 nights. I've done so, on several occasions. your group can climb Vogelsang Peak class 2, over vogelsang pass to Bernice and it's headwaters, down Fletcher creek. each of those is out-and-back, and if that doesn't appeal, there's a big loop over the pass, down Lewis creek, and back up Fletcher creek, or a smaller one to Ireland lake and back easy cross country. I consider Vogelsang to be a top bang-for-the-buck single day carry.

you didn't mention time of year, but if you arrive on the Sunday in September it closes, you'll lose the HSC guests, and they leave the potable water spigot on for several days, probably for the crew coming up to disassemble the camp. can be windy up there, though, near divide between tuolumne and merced drainage. go for it. by the way, I've always camped, never had a problem with a site, but never been there in high season.
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

I spent 1 night there last year; last night of my backpacking trip. We got into camp early, but after 50 miles under our feet were a bit tired and just kinda chilled reading books in camp. As I looked around the area I just couldn't get over all the possibilities of solid easy day hikes from this point for daytime fun. You can definitely keep yourself busy w/ fishing, lakeside fun, hikes, etc. And if you get bored or want to call it quits, its only 4 hours back to Tuolomne Meadows.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Or would 3 nights at Vogelsang get boring?
Not even, plenty of place and peaks to explore which will keep you busy 3 days and beyond. Fletcher, Vogelsang, Parsons, and Rafferty Peaks are all class 2 and nearby. You are in the heart of the Cathedral Range, go visit the chain of lakes leading up to Hanging Basket Lake, go to Bernice Lake and its headwaters, then go over the ridge and visit Ireland Lake, go to Emeric Lake and Babcock Lake which are also nearby, as is Florence Creek, Florence Lake, and its headwaters.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org