Lake Aloha with kids: where to camp?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Lake Aloha with kids: where to camp?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

2011 was a similar year to this year's snowpack. I went into Lake Aloha July 13-17 and hit solid snow at Haypress Meadow. There were dry spots to camp but much walking on snow. I suspect that the trail will be completely covered in snow early June this year and finding a dry campsite may be difficult.

[rimg]http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg23 ... lohaLk.jpg[/rimg]
Lake Aloha July 14, 2011

[rimg]http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg23 ... merged.jpg[/rimg]
Lower (outlet) side of Aloha
sanjose
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by sanjose »

Thank you very much both for your replies and for the sharing the beautiful pictures! We do have a booking for mid August. Sounds like might be best to stick to that time frame. Kids might have a bit more fun without ice in the water. Will continue monitoring for mosquitoes.
sanjose
Topix Novice

Post by sanjose »

So we have two reservations this summer now. One in Mid July with the first night in Lake of the woods and the second at Lake Aloha.
The second is Mid Aug at Lake aloha for a couple nights. From the comments above, it sounds like it would be OK snow wise by then.

Those of you with experience in this area, any guesses on the mosquito situation at these two times?

Thanks for your advice in advance!
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by FeetFirst »

Those of you with experience in this area, any guesses on the mosquito situation at these two times?
July will be worse than August and this year is set up to be a bad one. Pray for wind. Lake of the Woods has designated camp sites and they're all protected - not good when they're swarming. Lake Aloha is much more open and usually pretty breezy so your odds of remaining sane are better there. I've experienced zero to epic proportions at both locations in summer. Kind of a crap shoot, but if there's wind you're golden. Have fun!
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
sanjose
Topix Novice

Post by sanjose »

Thanks much! Will keep an eye on conditions. Is it possible that mosquito's will not be a problem by mid August?
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

We had a few mosquitoes even on Labor Day weekend in 2011 (and enough snow for margaritas): http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... f=1&t=6993

So I think the skeeters will be tolerable by mid August this year but not completely gone. If you are going to camp on the southwest side of Aloha then head over to Waca Lake for swimming, its great! There are actually some nice campsites on the flat col just before you drop to Waca Lake, which have great views and should have a reasonable water supply this year.
sanjose
Topix Novice

Post by sanjose »

Thanks Tim! Looked through your other post on your trip to lake Aloha. Sounds like we have picked the right destination for kids first backpacking in the Sierras. If only we get it right on the bugs front.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Best of luck on the trip. Is area 15 open for camping? I just skied in there, and area 15 offers a lot of fun day hike/climb options. You would be very close to "Mosquito Pass," which gives a great view to the NW; and you could climb Jack's Peak from there, or at least take a look over the edge of the slight saddle into the basin that holds Heather Lake. Finally, I think kids would love to day hike around the north west end of the lake to walk near to the steep cliffy area area that lies over there. All of the above day hike options would be short and sweet from area 15, if that is, in fact, a camping option. I have never been there in summer, so don't let me steer you wrong. I hope you all have a great time, we had great luck backpacking with our kids. Cheers, Harlen.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
sanjose
Topix Novice

Post by sanjose »

Thanks for sharing will check on area 15. But really just excited by the idea of spending a couple of days around lake Aloha. The pictures are so beautiful. Wonder if fishing is good there. Will take a rod and some lures. Would be great if kids can catch a couple.
fishwrong
Topix Regular

Post by fishwrong »

Honestly don't think you can go wrong which ever route you take. I agree it's a good destination for a group with kids. Not too tough, great scenery, lots of excursions close by. As other have mentioned the evening view up the ridge is special. If you have much of a moon, it's almost like daylight with the reflection coming off the granite. I'm normally not too sappy, but that place has a very special feel to it in the right circumstances.

Looking forward to the report.