Sequoia NP Backpacking - Crescent Meadow to Kaweah Gap

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Bredwards621
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Sequoia NP Backpacking - Crescent Meadow to Kaweah Gap

Post by Bredwards621 »

Hello Fellow Backpackers!

Glad to be joining you all here on High Sierra Topix. I am planning a trip up to Hamilton Lakes in late June and I've got some questions about campsites, trails, and potential weather conditions at that time, so let's jump right in!

Our plan is to start at Crescent Meadow, hike out to Bearpaw Meadow, up to Hamilton Lakes (and hopefully up to Precipice Lake and Kaweah Gap), and then back out to Crescent. If we make an attempt to reach Kaweah Gap, our plan would be to camp at Hamilton Lake, make a run for Precipice and the Gap the following morning without our packs, and then return to Hamilton Lake later that day.

So, here are my questions:

-Will we be able to camp at Hamilton Lake in late June? Do you guys think that there will there be snow on the ground around the lake? We are all planning on bringing 30 degree bags, but I just want to make sure that we won't freeze at night due to the fact that this last winter dumped loads of snow on the Sierra.

- Do you think that we will be able to get up to Precipice Lake or Kaweah Gap? Will there be snow pack on the trail or will it be icy in the sections where there are steep drop offs? We only plan to do a day run up to Precipice and Kaweah, if that is possible, so we would not have to worry about night time temperatures up there.

Thank you all in advance for your feedback!
Last edited by Bredwards621 on Wed May 17, 2017 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
lambertiana
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Sequoia NP Backpacking - Crescent Meadow to Kaweah Gap

Post by lambertiana »

I think there is a good chance that you will find snow-free campsites at Hamilton in June. Kaweah Gap is a different story. With the snow pack this year, Kaweah Gap will be under snow still. Precipice Lake is in a bowl on a north facing slope and will most likely still be iced over, possibly with a heavy layer of snow on top of the ice. There is a spot on the trail to Kaweah Gap (halfway to Precipice) where any ice would make it quite interesting, but it is on a south facing slope and could well be ice free. As long as you are comfortable walking on snow, it would not be a big problem to go to Kaweah Gap. Since a lot of the trail is on west facing slopes the snow cover shouldn't be too big of a problem.

If you go over toward Wolverton you will have to go on to camp at Emerald Lake or Pear Lake; camping is not allowed at Heather Lake. Since both of those lakes are on the north-facing slopes, they will still have snow. I tried to go to Emerald Lake in June 2006 when there was a similar snow pack and turned around just shy of Heather Lake because the day was getting old (it was a dayhike) and it was slow going in the snow. You could also camp at the Panther Gap trail junction (no water).

Camping is not allowed in Giant Forest.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

There is no water at Panther Gap, but on an August trip in 2011 we found a small flowing stream just a few hundred yards down the trail on the north side. Also, in June there may still be snow banks on the north side of Panther Gap to get water. Panther Gap has an amazing view!
-Phil
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

Wait, I'm confused, why are people talking about Panther Gap when he's going from Crescent Meadow out to Hamilton? Was the original post edited?

Anyway, hard to know what late June will look like but there could still potentially be a LOT of snow between Hamilton and Kaweah Gap, maybe even around Hamilton. The most recent snow survey at a lower elevation (than Precipice) in Mineral King still had 13 feet of snow on the ground. I'm guessing people will be out in that area between now and then and will hopefully chime in. If I am I'll try to remember to post an update.

Anyone have any guess as to what the river crossing will look like below Lower Hamilton on the trail? Another thing to consider as the crossing doesn't have a bridge and it's right above a waterfall. Nights still aren't getting warm so the big spring runoff hasn't even started yet.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Bredwards621,

Welcome to HST!
-Will we be able to camp at Hamilton Lake in late June? Do you guys think that there will there be snow on the ground around the lake? We are all planning on bringing 30 degree bags, but I just want to make sure that we won't freeze at night due to the fact that this last winter dumped loads of snow on the Sierra.

- Do you think that we will be able to get up to Precipice Lake or Kaweah Gap? Will there be snow pack on the trail or will it be icy in the sections where there are steep drop offs? We only plan to do a day run up to Precipice and Kaweah, if that is possible, so we would not have to worry about night time temperatures up there.
Does your group have real experience with snow travel, ice axe, or crampons? The section up to KG will have snow, if your group is comfortable with snow travel, then yes, your group can do a day hike from Hamilton, the views of the Kaweah Ridgeline will be superb and well worth the effort, Precipice Lake will be frozen or partial frozen. You could probably get away with less snow gear, if you time you climb to KG, after the snow softens a bit, instead of the icy, solid snow one encounters in the mornings.
Hard to say whether a 30F bag will suffice (20F would be safer), some folks are warm sleepers, some cold, just make sure you carry high R-value rated pads and extra clothing.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

The snow isn't going to make it colder, that would just be the general overnight temps at high elevation, where weather is whatever it wants to be. It routinely gets below freezing. I know there are those who swear by 30F bags in the Sierra in summer, but I can't be one of them -- I've seen it snow in August, and my 20F gear does me well. That does include a pad with at least 2.5 - 3 R value. Adding a foam pad to a lower rated pad will make it warmer.

You will be fine at Hamilton. The snowfield on the way to Precipice can be problematic. There is one place on the top of the switchbacks where the creek coming out of Hamilton flows across the trail -- I've not seen that high enough to be a problem, but it would be generally good advice that if you are facing a stream crossing anywhere and it is very fast, looks deeper than knees - probably safer to turn around. An alternate might be going up to Tamarack. With all the melt that will be continuing in June the crossing places that are usually safer may be actually dangerous.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

You still have to cross Lone Pine Crek to get to Tamarck Lake. In fact, the crossing for Tamarack is likely to be too high to safely cross. I have never tried to stay on the south side of the creek- it may be a bushwhack. Where the trail crosses below the small lake below Hamilton Lake can also be high. I have crossed it when it was crotch deep on me. Pretty freaky since there is a waterfall just below. Crossings are usually lower in the early morning. Late afternoon is the worst.

I doubt temperatures at Hamilton Lake will be below freezing. Just take a down sweater and a balaclava. Perhaps one of those blue insulating pads to put under your regular pad if you only have one of those UL air mattresses such as the NeoAir.
brianA
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by brianA »

Here's a pic of Precipice Lake on July 8, 2016. That winter had an above average snowfall, and we were still walking through the snow. With this year's mega snowfall, Precipice and Kaweah might be problematic. There's a slot, just past the tunnel above Hamilton that doesn't melt as quickly as other parts. The rangers don't always have the current information, but ask anyway. For the most current info, talk to the people walking out to see how far they made it. Even if you only make it to Hamilton, it's a great trip. Even if the slot it blocked, take the trail above Ham. as far as you can. It's beautiful.
IMG_7822.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.