3/nt. Backpacking Route SEKI- Next Week for novice

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
BUCKSKI
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

3/nt. Backpacking Route SEKI- Next Week for novice

Post by BUCKSKI »

Would love to hear from you If you have been up recently THIS SEASON and can advise a good trail/route with favorable conditions that would be suitable for a fit & adventurous 15 yr old.

I'm 36 and have summited Shasta a few times backpacked a few hundred miles, I know my way around snow and rivers. I'm taking my 15 yr old nephew on his first backpacking trip Monday June 19 (not to be postponed). We have 3 nights 3.5 days if we start mid-day Monday. I'm thinking destination to be SEKI as we're driving from San Luis Obispo area and its closest.

I'm anticipating lots of snow and heavy afternoon creeks/rivers and hearing reports of bridges out etc. I hope to hear your "trip report" about the goods and bads for how you got along on the route you took, sketchy areas, unexpected turn-arounds, bugs, temps etc. Safety #1 and Enjoyable first backcountry experience #2 ... Possible areas/routes pending permits & your friendly advice:
  • - High Sierra Trail to Hamilton Lake and back (Lodgepole)
    - Bubbs Creek or Woods Canyon / Paradise Valley out & back (Roads End)
    - Jennie Lakes Loop
    - Stony Creek to Jenny lake out & back
    - Atwell-Hockett in Mineral King

Thanks in advance ! Open to other ideas especially near Sequoia/Kings Canyon which is a 5 hour drive on Day 1.
Last edited by BUCKSKI on Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Re: 3/nt. Backpacking Route SEKI- Next Week for novice

Post by AlmostThere »

I'm expecting that's actually June 19, as it's the 14th today....

The road to Big Meadow just opened - not beyond, as there is road damage to fix. There'll still be significant snow up there. But no really dangerous exposure, maybe on poop out pass but not much sketchiness in that loop.

The HST to Hamilton will be the biggest bang for the buck on scenery, and people are making it out there all right - see video of the snowy bit at the tunnel on the way to Precipice, posted here this morning....

Redwood Meadow might be a nice place to go as well.

Golden Trout might be nice. Free. No Quotas. Still plenty of water.

Wherever you go, I hope you're ready for bugs. I have been feverishly hunting for my headnet...
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Would also pick the HST to Hamilton from your list, go to High Sierra Trail Facebook Page and check out the photos recently posted of the HST to get an idea of the current conditions. SEKI only mentioned Mehrten Creek as being difficult, it can be bypassed, but that was reported back on 5/28.

Paradise Valley had reports of sections being flooded and the scenery is not really worth the effort, same for Bubb's Creek.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

I was at poop out pass yesterday and it still has 6-8 feet at the pass. Weaver lake is easy but has lots of little streams on the trail. I'd go with Hamilton lake for scenery if you can get the permit. Redwood canyon is also really cool if you're into forest and sequoias
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

zacjust32 wrote:I was at poop out pass yesterday and it still has 6-8 feet at the pass. Weaver lake is easy but has lots of little streams on the trail. I'd go with Hamilton lake for scenery if you can get the permit. Redwood canyon is also really cool if you're into forest and sequoias
I agree with the Hamilton recommendation. Speaking of Weaver, you mention that Weaver is easy...was it thawed on your visit? Did you continue beyond Poop Out to Jennie Lake, and if so, was Jennie thawed? This is very useful "thaw calibration" data.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Post by Love the Sierra »

GiantBrookie, is there a place to camp near water in Redwood Canyon? I have day hiked there but do not remember water. You are referring to the 10 mile loop, right?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Love the Sierra wrote:GiantBrookie, is there a place to camp near water in Redwood Canyon? I have day hiked there but do not remember water. You are referring to the 10 mile loop, right?
The creek that runs down the middle of the canyon that you cross at least twice has water year round.
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

I was just thinking about the HST to Hamilton and recall that there is one stream crossing downstream of the lower Hamilton Lake that could be a bit high? I remember getting fairly wet (wet but not endangered) at that crossing July 26, 2003. I don't know how that particular crossing plays earlier in the season with higher flows.

The main creek crossings downstream of this, such as Tamarack Creek and Bucks Canyon, etc. have bridges over them--the former must be quite a sight right now with high flows in that slot canyon.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have waded across below Hamilton Lake early season. I am small (probably similar to weight to a kid that age) and I thought it was somewhat difficult and deep- I recall about thigh deep. The danger is that there is a waterfall directly below the crossing. Just check it out before letting a kid across and retreat if needed. You may need to carry his pack across or help him across. This is one where falling in is not an option.
zacjust32
Topix Regular

Post by zacjust32 »

giantbrookie wrote:Speaking of Weaver, you mention that Weaver is easy...was it thawed on your visit? Did you continue beyond Poop Out to Jennie Lake, and if so, was Jennie thawed? This is very useful "thaw calibration" data.
Weaver was 60% thawed and going fast. 2-3 foot drifts at the lake. 4+ feet of snow at poop out and more on the East side. Made it 100 yards over before turning around, too slushy and creeks running under it; snow levels 6-8 feet deep. Snow line is right under 9k in that area.