Chiquito/Quartz to Norris/Fernandez

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
CBing
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Chiquito/Quartz to Norris/Fernandez

Post by CBing »

Hi all, new member here, great site. Has anyone been up to Chain Lakes/Lilian Lake area recently? Planning on doing a point to point with a buddy over the 4th weekend, Chiquito to Norris, can I get through?

With all of these reports of massive snow I'm second guessing my plans and wondering if it would be better to do an out and back so we can turn around at any point if needed without consequence. I'm a class 4 in good weather, haven't done any cross country snow travel or camping, although I'm willing to as long as there's no sketchy steep drop-offs nearby. I do have some microspikes and gaiters, I'm guessing I need to bring those, thoughts?

I called a couple ranger stations up there and got mixed messages. I'm hoping someone here may know or have heard about current conditions. Thanks.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Chiquito/Quartz to Norris/Fernandez

Post by rlown »

What did you hear that was a mixed message and which did you call? Also, please state you and your buddies skill set.
There was this thread: http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... es#p120814

Creek melt, skeeters, and flooding might be issues to get to the chains, let alone the roads.

PS: Welcome to the HST..
CBing
Topix Novice

Post by CBing »

Thanks for the reply. I called Monday, first person said to definitely bring an ice axe, there will be snow over the trail. Had to call the next day when the other station opened and they said don't worry about bringing an ice axe or crampons when I specifically asked about that and that people were getting out from Clover Meadow. I'm not particularly confident in the knowledge of the people I spoke with on the phone, they sounded like some interns and weren't sure about everything.

Ya I saw that thread, was hoping to get some more reports if anyone had been out this past weekend Thanks for the info, want to play it safe, sounds like conditions are pretty epic up there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Number 1... are the roads passable for your vehicle. I doubt you'll need the ice ax after that. It's the two creeks you cross that will give you gas depending on depth. Trekking poles help. Shoes are kind of a personal choice and there will be snow berms in the trees/shade.
CBing
Topix Novice

Post by CBing »

Yep, according to the rangers the roads are open. Should be passable for my lifted truck and my buddies stock truck. Thanks for the info, I'll mention that to the rangers when I call back on Friday and see if they know for sure.

By the way, my friend has similar experience to me, not much in the way of x-country through snow, cool with it, but not if it's steep/icy.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

No prob on the snow.. memorize and picture where the trail is. Even fly it via Google Earth with historical data (no snow). Annotate your map for any weird turns on the map.
CBing
Topix Novice

Post by CBing »

Excellent, great to hear. That's good advice, I also have mapping on my phone and bringing a gps just in case. Can't wait to get a line wet, hopefully them trout are biting!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Middle chain.. Big rock at the outlet and the North side towards the inlet. Have fun.. Lower Chain is ok, but smaller. Nice campsite on the East side of lower chain up near the rock and then a simple walk to Middle. Skip upper, unless you're into 4-6" fish.
CBing
Topix Novice

Post by CBing »

Oh ya, always by the inlet! Thanks for the info once again, I appreciate it.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

I have serious doubts that road to quartz will be clear. There are some high north slopes on the road. You should easily make it to Chiquito TH though. Expect lots of wet trail around Chiquito Lake. There are 3 creek crossings using this route to Chain Lakes. Unless you get definitive info that road to Quartz is open I would opt for the longer, but sure route from Chiquito TH. This also makes your shuttle much easier as the quartz TH is a very long drive from the other two. Fernandez Pass will be interesting as well and you will have several creek crossings between Chain and your exit TH.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!