Looking for West side trip analogous to N. Fork Big Pine.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Midnight Sun
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Looking for West side trip analogous to N. Fork Big Pine.

Post by Midnight Sun »

I hate to come in here needing last minute advice, but my July 1 trip to Thousand Island Lake/Ediza got canceled due to remaining snow. Now my wife and I are looking for a shorter trip. We are hoping to find a walk-in spot at a campground on Saturday, and then score a walk-in backpacking permit the next day. Looking for non-national park, as we have a dog.

My initial thought was to camp near 2nd Lake on N. Fork of Big Pine Creek, a place we've been and both love. BUT, while we've spent many nights in the Eastern Sierra, neither of us has been to the Western Sierra. We'd love to give it a shot (driving up from Santa Barbara). After reading several other posts on HST, I thought Dinkey Lakes or Lost Lake might be good destinations. But I'm not sure Dinkey is accessible at this point. I don't know much about Lost, but it looks nice. I'm having a bit of trouble telling what is and isn't in SEKI (which we need to avoid due to the dog).

Any advice is much appreciated. TL;DR - Looking for Western Sierra - one night at a campground and the second (maybe third) night backpacking, covering 5-8 miles per day backpacking. Thanks!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Looking for West side trip analogous to N. Fork Big Pine

Post by maverick »

I'm having a bit of trouble telling what is and isn't in SEKI (which we need to avoid due to the dog).
Lost Lake is in SEKI. West side is going to be a problem, not only with the snow, but also the access roads. You could go to Golden Trout Wilderness or the Cottonwoods Lake area just south of SEKI.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Midnight Sun
Topix Acquainted

Post by Midnight Sun »

Thank you for the input. I will take a look at those two areas. Option B, we may just end up at Big Pine Creek again, and check out the Western Sierra later this summer.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

I agree with Maverick that the Cottonwoods are a potential option.

The below are west-side options:
A possibility, but check on road and trailhead conditions (Sierra National Forest), would be the southwestern Ansel Adams Wilderness which would be the likes of Lady, Madera, Lillian Lake et al. The eastern of this region (Clover Meadow area to Cora L. and beyond) are compromised by the fact that there is a key stream crossing downstream of Cora that I suspect is a no-go for awhile.

Apparently the road to Courtright Res. is open which leads to the possibility of the SE Dinkey Lakes Wilderness (Cliff Lake and vicinity).

Weaver Lake of Jennie Lakes Wilderness is probably OK, but I don't know about going further to Jennie Lake.

The Twin Lakes area of Kaiser Wilderness via Potter Pass may be an option too.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

giantbrookie wrote:
Apparently the road to Courtright Res. is open which leads to the possibility of the SE Dinkey Lakes Wilderness (Cliff Lake and vicinity).

Weaver Lake of Jennie Lakes Wilderness is probably OK, but I don't know about going further to Jennie Lake.

The Twin Lakes area of Kaiser Wilderness via Potter Pass may be an option too.
Neither of the regular Dinkey trailheads is accessible just yet. The Willow Meadow road is gated - apparently waiting for boggy parts to un-bog. The road between the boat ramp and Trapper Springs is closed so Cliff Lake trailhead is still a no go. Flooding, probably in that area where the road dips through a little stream -- we call it the car wash -- but not passable to cars yet.

Twin Lakes is under snow as of last week.

Weaver is not -- there is lingering snow on Poop Out Pass but Jennie should be fairly melted out by now as well. Both are being hit pretty hard by desparate backpackers looking for places to go. We day hiked and saw groups of girls and boys in illegal numbers.... Must have been 30 kids struggling out of there, looking tired.... But none of the stream crossings are dangerous.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Maxson Trailhead, on the other hand, is open -- so go out to Hobler Lake, or over to Post Corral. Depending on the creek at Post Corral you may be able to get to the North Fork of the Kings -- I bet the river is very impressive right now. But Hobler is fine, no major stream crossings.

For a non permitted option -- go to Maxson at Courtright, hike the Dusy Ershem. The four wheelers probably aren't hitting it yet. It's a corridor through the wilderness that is not wilderness. You can stop at Voyager Rock, continue on the DE, or even just walk around Courtright itself and camp on the north end of the lake.
Midnight Sun
Topix Acquainted

Post by Midnight Sun »

Thanks for your input everyone. I'll look into the places you've mentioned. Excited for the mountains.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

If you must have the High Sierra experience, wait a month.

There are lots of scenic and interesting places to backpack into the western southern Sierra if one thinks out of the box forgetting the usual backpacker mindset of camping at LAKES and or must be FISHING. Since you did not mention either...

Most lakes in that part of the Sierra are at timberline destinations that are still too high to visit because the forest trails to reach them are snowy and or soggy plus many of the lakes are still frozen.

SR168, the Kaiser Pass Road, opened last week.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sierra/h ... rdb5399344

An interesting area that not many summer visitors hike to is from Ward Lake down to the San Joaquin River. During most mid summers, that area is hot at elevation 6800 feet so usually just a few people visit it and most are probably camping at the little Ward Lake campground. During September when cooler it will see fly fishermen.

However during the drought almost all water from the river went into the diversion pipe to Huntington Lake reservoir leaving just piddly minimum legal flows in the real river. However this year, water flows out of Florence are certain to be roaring and currently near peak. Thus the whitewater river itself ought to be exciting. Way more than any frozen snowy lake haha. The best thing about that zone at that elevation this early July is it ought to be near peak for granite bedrock wildflowers. Also there is an interesting nearby wet meadow, Hell Hole Meadow. All that green stuff will be brown, dead, gone to seed by the end of July. But now its their time of peak greenery with all manner of critters in peak happiness. Also just upstream are two ponds, likely with a nice temperature to get into. Despite the high river flows, there ought be nice clean warm bedrock areas right next to the river that itself will certainly have some quiet flow spots.

From the road it is less than 1.5 miles dropping down 600 feet. I will suggest camping at the nice bedrock zone at these crosshairs at 6800 feet across from "San" on the topo.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.31237,-118.97459&z=15&t=T

David
http://www.davidsenesac.com/2017_Trip_C ... les-0.html