conditions red peak pass?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
paulryan
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

conditions red peak pass?

Post by paulryan »

Has anyone attempted the Ottoway lakes loop yet? We were wondering if the red peak is passable. Thanks!
knick11
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: conditions red peak pass?

Post by knick11 »

Hello,

This was the north and south side of Red Peak Pass on June 14 of 2016...

North
2016N.jpg
South
2016S.jpg
This was the north and south side of Red Peak Pass on August 8 of 2011...

North
2011N1.jpg
2011N2.jpg
South
2011S2.jpg
2011S1.jpg
The summer of 2016 had average snow coverage, while the summer of 2011 was very similar to this season's snow coverage. There was actually more snow coverage overall during the summer of 2011 than this season, but this season seems to have much more snow at the highest elevations. However, it's currently mid July. So my best guess would be that the conditions right now have more snow than August 2011 with possibly as much as June 2016, but likely somewhere in the middle. When I climbed over the pass last summer, many people on the trail were turning back because they said the pass was impassible. Other than glissading from the top, it was in fact very passable even in the snowy conditions and without snow gear. In fact, it was arguably more dangerous and difficult during the August 2011 trip just because the suncups were so massive... Hopefully this helps gauge what the conditions are until someone can confirm...

Good luck!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paulryan
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by paulryan »

Thanks for the reply and the photos! Very helpful. Really appreciate it. Gives us a lot to think about.......have a great day!
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by robow8 »

Talked to a group of 4 a couple of weeks ago who went over Red Peak Pass. They said above Lower Ottoway Lake it was mostly snow, and on the other side of the pass was all snow.
Hulkman
Topix Newbie

Post by Hulkman »

I was wondering if anyone has been in this area recently? Looking to be there in a few weeks, and want to have a few alternate plans in case the pass isn't easily 'passable' (sorry for the pun).
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Hulkman,

Welcome to HST!
Found this, should be helpful :) : http://www.yosemite.ca.us/forum/viewtop ... 089#p15648
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Hulkman
Topix Newbie

Post by Hulkman »

Perfect! Thanks for the link.