Blackcap Basin Advice

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ischenck
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Blackcap Basin Advice

Post by ischenck »

My girlfriend and I are looking to explore Blackcap Basin soon and are researching the quickest route to get there. We are also trying to find more info about conditions up there. I've seen the TR that showed a picture of frozen Martha Lake last week, which is pretty close, and I am wondering if Blackcap basin will be the same in 10 days.

Here are my answers to the questions posed in the "Suggestions for requesting trip/route advice" thread:

Backpacking experience : Level 3, we have hiked predominantly on trails, but have been doing more x-country and want to try more.

Terrain Comfort: Class 2, most normal river crossings and snow that can be crossed with microspikes, but not comfortable with ice axe.

Main interests: lakes, big mountain scenery. Don't fish, but we like to look at them!

Trip length: 4-5 days, we have July 31st - August 4th to hike/drive to and from SoCal.

Miles a day: without a lot of elevation gain, can do 15-20, but otherwise more like 10-15.

Very comfortable at all elevations in the Sierra, no altitude sickness.

So, from what I have read so far, there are a few different ways to get to BCB, including Maxson trailhead, Woodchuck trailhead and rancheria trailhead. The Sierra South book only describes the route from Woodchuck, but from comparing that route to Maxson, it looks like about the same mileage with more elevation gain. Is that true?

I also read a few threads here where people were talking about partial x-country routes from Rancheria which looks interesting, but I am not sure how much time/mileage that would save.

To anyone with knowledge of these routes, which of these (or some other route I did not describe) would be the quickest to get to BCB for someone with some x-country experience but is more comfortable on trail?

Also, does anyone have recent information on snow in BCB and streams along the way?

Thanks a lot!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Blackcap Basin Advice

Post by AlmostThere »

Yes, there will likely be snow in the next couple of weeks. How much is up for debate. People keep telling me it will be gone "soon" -- that's not really been happening on their schedule. There will be lots, lots, lots of mosquitos.

Maxson would be a better trailhead to use, if only because the trails are better. The trails in Rancheria/Crown Valley aren't used as often and so far as I know few have been maintained. There should be fewer blowdowns between Maxson and BCB.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I did a trip starting July 9-15, 2013 from Maxon Meadows. It is a good trail and easy to follow. 2013 was a low snow year- I suspect if you were to start Aug 1 this year, it may be similar, but more snow above 10,000 feet. I had to wade several creeks but no real problems. I even waded across the NF Kings to camp on the other side. I drove to Maxon Meadow and walked in to camp on the NF Kings at Flemming Creek. Then went up to Blackcap Basin, and returned, off-trail high through Bench Valley and Red Mountain Basin and back on the trail northwest of Flemming Creek. Be sure to go up to Cathedral Lake (nice camping an really scenic). There is a faint use-trail that drops into the lakes from Pearl Lake. If you just stay in Blackcap Basin, a day-hike up to Confusion Lake is very scenic. Because of the snow up higher I used the lower pass just north of Black Cap Mountain to drop into Guest Lake, rather than the pass northwest of Lake Confusion, to get into Bench Valley. I suspect the higher pass would also be quite snowy this year until mid-August. You can return to the North Fork on the trail down Fall Creek if you do not have time to add Red Mountain Basin. I did a trip report of the trip- but due to Photobuckt ending my links, the photos do not show up now. But there is a good description of the trip.
tlsharb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by tlsharb »

To be honest, 5 days doesn't give you much time to explore the basin. It will be 20 miles whether you come from Maxsom or Wishon. So unless you really put in a crazy long day, it will be 2 days in and 1 or 2 out. I haven't done Rancheria, but have the other two. Personally I'd go from Wishon-- the views are much better. From Maxsom you are walking along forested rivers/creeks for mile after mile (gets kind of boring). Wishon does have a lot more elevation gain to tackle up over Crown Pass-- but it is pretty. One long day and you can be at Halfmoon Lake (very pretty place to camp), and then on day 2 you are about 6 miles out from Portal Lake (first lake you hit in the basin). Depending on snow, I'd day hike to the top of Valor Pass. The view is incredible.
ts
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

From Maxson you get to hike along the river and through meadows full of flowers. My favorite place to go in late summer to pick strawberries along the way.... "Boring" is a relative term.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

These folks say they can do 10-15 miles a day, up to 20 miles a day. I suspect they are in good shape. This is what I did on my trip, and I am an old lady!

My Day 1 was 6 hours, 1230 feet gain, for 10 miles. I aslo drove 5 hours to the trailhead on the first day. Admittedly, I was tired at the end of the day!

Day 2 was 8 hours, 9.6 miles, 3125 gain to Pearl Lake, with an additional 3 hour/3 mile day-hike to Cathedral Lake. This was early July, with lots of daylight. In essence it was 20 miles in two reasonable days to Pearl Lake.

Day 3. Rather than in-and-out the same trail you can then x-c through Blackcap Basin to Horsehead Lake via Blackcap Pass in 5.5 hours, 6.5 miles. This leaves time for a day-hike up to upper Lakes (up by Schoolmarm Lake and/or Little Joe Lake- the Schoolmarm area being a priority), for Day 3.

Day 4 you can drop down the trail back to the trail along the North FOrk of Kings River, via Guest Lake. I continued over to Devils Punchbowl (about 6 miles, 7 hours). Another couple hours to traverse over to Flemming Lake. The disadvantage of only 5 days would be that you would not have time to day-hike up to Horseshoe or Hell-for-Sure Lakes.

Day 5. It is 11 miles and 6 hours back to the trailhead from Flemming Lake. This left me enough time to drive home.

This just gives an idea of what you can do in a 5-day trip. The thing about going in Maxon, is that your tour of Blackcap Basin is basically heading back to the trailhead. There are several trails that drop back to the main trail if you run out of time. Obviously, if you could add a day or two you could slow the pace and see more. I also fished on the trip. If not fishing, you have even more time to day-hike.

If you go in from Wishon, there are less options. It would basically be an in-and-out to Blackcap Basin. But I have not been on the route from Wishon, so cannot compare, except to look at the map.

The off-trail traverse through Blackcap, Bench Valley and Red Mountain Basins, does require good navigation skills. Passes are class 2.
ischenck
Topix Novice

Post by ischenck »

Thanks for all the replies!

AlmostThere: Good to know about the snow. We will bring our microspikes and turn back if its beyond our skill level. As for the mosquitos, I will make sure to apply a new coat of permethrin and hide the clothes from my cats until the trip.

tlsharb: Ya, my biggest worry is not getting to fully explore the area. We are figuring out if we can leave Sunday instead of Monday, but if not our goal is to get to Portal lake on the first night if possible. Both of us are pretty strong hikers and have only gotten in better shape since last summer, so I think it is doable. We will try to get to Valor Pass if conditions permit!

Wandering Daisy: Thanks for the trip breakdown; that looks like a good itinerary. I've been to Red Mountain Basin from Maxson but my girlfriend has not, so that could be a fun addition to the trip. So you went back down to the trail and then into Red Mountain Basin, correct? I saw that some people on HST have gone over "Lucifer's Saddle" to connect Bench Valley to Red Mountain Basin. Have you done that? Also, did you take the trail from Devil's Punchbowl to Flemming Lake or cut through off trail?

I think we will try the route you described, or cutting through over Lucifer's Saddle, if there isn't too much snow on the passes.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

No, I traversed high and dropped into Big Shot Lake using the pass east-southest. It is a "double pass", from Crabtree Lake. The pass would likely have snow on the northwest side this year. It is class 2. I do a lot of off-trail travel and thought it was challenging to find the route. The drop down to Big Shot Lake is pretty steep in a few places. If you were to drop back to the main trail, it would be a much longer route.

With your shorter trip, you may prefer to skip Red Mountain Basin.

If you stay in Blackcap Basin, and want to take a day-hike to Blue Canyon, there is a pass about half mile east of Hummingbird Lake. Crown Basin, however, is soggy even in a normal year. It probably would be full of water and mosquitoes this year until late August. OK to pass through on a day-hike but I would not camp there.

Pearl Lake has more wind than Portal Lake. If mosquitoes, I prefer to camp at Pearl Lake. Actually the bench containing Cathedral, Midaway and Chapel Lake is the most scenic, but would probably still have a lot of snow this year.

The bench north of Lightning Corral Meadow will be very wet. It is a maze of little creeks, swamps and islands. I thought it was pretty but expect some wading to get through it.

I have camped at Rainbow Lake and Confusion Lake. Both are very scenic. Facing south, Rainbow Lake would have some dry campsites. It sits in a basin of a lot of rock slabs.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

The current MODIS image still shows a lot of snow there.

https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov/?p ... 2408320734

Use the acme.mapper topo to help read the satellite image:
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.08274,-118.75667&z=13&t=T

upper SF San Joaquin River canyon below Martha makes identifying Le Conte Divide and White Divide easy. Mt Goddard is obvious. Can See Scepter Pass then the ridge sweeping around eastward delineating the south side of that basin. The southeast slopes of Blackcap Mtn and central basin areas look mostly melted or thin snow certain to melt out by month end. From peak 12036 to the divide is a large area of snow with a melted out zone at Rainbow Lake. Peak 12212 to Reinstein and south including where lakes are shows total snow fields. Some of those lakes should at least partially melt out by month end.

In WP Sierra South, Courtright to Portal Lake is 22 miles with a moderate trip 5 nights with a sixth layover day. Thus 3 days to hike in, one layover day, and 2 days to hike out. To do so in 4 days would be a beater.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Sierra South is an old guidebook, and their times are based on the classic heavy packs. I gotto Pearl Lake in 2 days, and that included driving from Sacramento to the trailhead. If you have a light pack (not even UL, but in the range of 30 pounds or under), I see no problem, if the trail is in fair shape. I actually met a CCC trail crew when I was going up the trail. It is possible that the current trail condition is worse. Nevertheless, I see 2 full days as totally feasible. Now, if you do it on one day, THAT is a beater! The persons asking the question seem to be in good shape and willing to walk a full 8-10 hour day to make the miles. My only concern is if they have enough experience to efficiently do the off-trail travel, if they choose to stay high in the basin.