TR: Cottonwood Lakes/Mt. Langley

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Flycaster5150
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

TR: Cottonwood Lakes/Mt. Langley

Post by Flycaster5150 »

My son and I just returned from a four day excursion into the Cottonwood Lakes with hopes of making it all the way to Mt. Langley. After reading other's reports and numerous calls to the ranger station on Lone Pine, I was still uncertain whether we could actually make it all the way to Langley. We just needed to go and if conditions dictated us turning back then we were prepared for that. The first day took us into the Cottonwood Lakes basin where we set up camp along the shores of #3. We had a great view of the lake and the mountains rising up from the shores on the opposite side. We could even see our Mt. Langley. The next day we attempted to make it to the top. Our biggest concern was New Army pass but that proved to be unnecessary as we were able to get up to the top via a narrow opening between the snow and rock outcroppings. Once we made that it was just huffing and puffing, literally, our way to the top of Langley. Once we got to the top the sense of accomplishment rejuvenated us as we took in the gorgeous views from 14,000 feet. After getting back down off the mountain and back to camp for some well deserved rest, we spent the next day just relaxing, doing a little fishing, and just enjoying the scenery. Thanks to all on this board that helped me plan for this trip.

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Cottonwood Lakes/Mt. Langley

Post by maverick »

Congratulations to you and your son, Steve! :thumbsup:
How old is your son? What other trips have you done together?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
jeremiahkim
Topix Regular

Post by jeremiahkim »

Great photos! Looks like it was a wonderful trip with your son.

How was the fishing?
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Matthewkphx »

Great photos! That looks like an excellent trip.
Flycaster5150
Topix Newbie

Post by Flycaster5150 »

Maverick

My son is 13. This was his second trip up to the Sierras. The week before he did Blue Lake with his scout troop. We have also done some local Socal stuff also.

Jeremiahkim

Fishing was really good. Lots of goldens on the fly at #5.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

When I was 13, my uncle took me to Blue Lake. That was 1974. It was a wonderful introduction to the Sierra. I took my son there in 2009. He was 11. My mother used to back pack there when she was pre-teen. She's 78. My family has quite a history with Blue Lake. Last month, I took my girlfriend there. She's been all over the Sierra, but this was her first time in this watershed.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice. I especially like the summit shot and the scrambling shot of your son. It reminds me of the photos my dad took of me when I was that age.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Awesome shot of Whitney. Definitely my favorite view of Whitney, is standing on top of Langley. Were you trying get a picture of the bird or your son climbing?
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Bob12345
Topix Novice

Post by Bob12345 »

Does anyone know if Old Army Pass is now open without snow?

Bob