White Wolf GCT Loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Olds442
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

White Wolf GCT Loop

Post by Olds442 »

I have a permit for this Saturday (Aug 5th) White Wolf doing the GCT Loop and back out to White Wolf Via Ten Lakes Basin. Last report I saw was still some snow and route finding getting from Tuolumne Peak to the Ten Lakes Basin. Anyone been up that way?
rgliebe
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: White Wolf GCT Loop

Post by rgliebe »

I was hiking in the southeastern part of the park two weeks ago near the crest of the Sierras, and snow coverage back then was about 5% to 10% at 10K feet and melting fast due to the heat. The Ten Lakes area does retain snow longer than a lot of other areas, but I'd be shocked if you see more than a few small patches of snow left unless you go off trail to some of the higher peaks in that area. The highest of the Ten Lakes is where you might still find some snow coverage. The snow and water levels are about a month ahead of where they would be for a "normal" summer. Yosemite Creek is flowing nicely, but it is comfortably below flood stage. The melting of the snowpack created a lot of swampy areas in relatively flat meadows, and the number of trees down is much higher than normal.
Olds442
Topix Newbie

Post by Olds442 »

rgliebe,

Thanks for the update. I am anticipating no issues getting past the ten lakes area. Rumor has it that the rangers are saying the pate valley bridge is impassable but I am guessing they have to say that since the railings are gone from the high water but a previous report said the planks were still in place.
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

I haven't been up there this year, but that route is a favorite that I know very very well.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. You're not going to do any/too much guessing at this point. You may have a few places heading down the backside of Tuolumne Peak that are still holding snow, but you're not going to do any real wayfinding because of the intuitive nature of the trail's routing and the fact that it's probably pretty well tracked over by now. Ten Lakes will be clear enough to not worry about either. However, just so you know, as of the 07/25 report, the trail up from the junction of the May Lake Trail has not been cleared of downed trees yet. No big deal there. Your two biggest concerns are going to be surface runoff, and definitely mosquitoes from the area above the Murphy Creek junction, slightly up the Ten Lakes Trail, just over Tuolumne Peak and down to the valley at the south fork of Cathedral Creek, then once again when you get up into the area of the lakes.
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

Olds442 wrote:rgliebe,

Thanks for the update. I am anticipating no issues getting past the ten lakes area. Rumor has it that the rangers are saying the pate valley bridge is impassable but I am guessing they have to say that since the railings are gone from the high water but a previous report said the planks were still in place.
From what I understand, it was the railing that was damaged. They're not "recommending" using it, but it also isn't impassable and the whole trail thereby closed. Just don't fall off I guess.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Don't fall off the bridge if the Pate Valley rattlesnakes are sunning themselves on the bridge! Seriously, keep an eye out for rattlesnakes. I did the same route early June 2012. You can dig up that trip report. You may have to do some wading below Glen Aulin, but I suspect most of the flooding is done with.
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Don't fall off the bridge if the Pate Valley rattlesnakes are sunning themselves on the bridge! Seriously, keep an eye out for rattlesnakes. I did the same route early June 2012. You can dig up that trip report. You may have to do some wading below Glen Aulin, but I suspect most of the flooding is done with.
Yes, rattlesnakes galore. Switchbacks down from Morrison Creek, Pate Valley in a big way, over Muir Gorge and just past there in the forested area. Some are pissy and aggressive, but a well extended pole works wonders. Just watch where you step. Bears are also a fairly big deal in Pate.

I don't think that area between California Falls and Glen Aulin proper ever really dries out completely. If it's not residual flooding from the river, it's the drainage off the creeks from above. Walking through it is just sometimes what you have to do. It should be coming to a point where you can strategically pick your way around most of it though, but mud is still inevitable.