Looking for lake conditions above French Canyon

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
ecat
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Looking for lake conditions above French Canyon

Post by ecat »

Hello to all!
I'm Headed up the Pine Creek Trail next week and would love to get a bit more intel( Ice coverage, Snow around shoreline) on the Lakes Below Puppet Pass. Puppet, Star , Alsace, Paris. maybe Moon and Elba as well. I saw Wandering Daisy's report on French and Steelhead lakes, which was very helpful. I thought it might be prudent to try and gather a bit more info before I depart. Ill be looking at the Lower Royce Lakes as well. The Fly-rod will accompany me, and even though its still pretty brisk, I look forward to wetting a line in waters new to me, on this trip. Ice out conditions have worked for me in the past,,,, Fingers crossed! Ill try and get a trip report posted if I can figure out the darn picture thing!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Looking for lake conditions above French Canyon

Post by rlown »

Just go! take Deet or a head net. It is the season. WD's report is still pretty accurate. Pictures are easy. you load them onto your pc, and as you write up the report, you select "upload attachment" and then "place inline" after putting your cursor at the appropriate spot.
Broot
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Broot »

I'm planning on heading up there this weekend for 3 days. Although it looks like there's going to be some rain and thunderstorms. Might decide not to go, but if I do I'll let you know what the conditions are like.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Why would rain stop you? You're going there to fish, right?
Broot
Topix Acquainted

Post by Broot »

Yep. I'm going to go. Figured if I let a little rain stop me, I must not be a real fisherman.
ecat
Topix Acquainted

Post by ecat »

rlown wrote:Just go! take Deet or a head net. It is the season. WD's report is still pretty accurate. Pictures are easy. you load them onto your pc, and as you write up the report, you select "upload attachment" and then "place inline" after putting your cursor at the appropriate spot.

Deet and Head Net already packed. Going rain or shine. There's bound to be a few good stretches over 5 days. I've fiddled with photobucket as a host site, and have struggled. I'll keep at it. It's been a good year already. Looking forward to this trip.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

go with flickr or upload directly to the HST site. Its a killer time to be up there. That is my next year trip.
ecat
Topix Acquainted

Post by ecat »

rlown wrote:go with flickr or upload directly to the HST site. Its a killer time to be up there. That is my next year trip.
I'll try uploading directly. Seems like a better way to go!

Early spring lake conditions in August. Sounds like fun to me. I've poked around many corners of Humphries Basin, without wandering over the hill. Looking forward to finally getting to this side.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I would guess almost all the lakes would be open. Given the typical windy days, particularly at the Royce Lakes, you may want to take both fly and spin fishing gear if serious about fishing. I only took fly gear, which reduced my success. The northeast side of French Lake is melted out more and you can find some campsites with shelter in scrub timber. Steelhead has more sheltered campsites, all on or above the west shore. I did not go down to the waterfall from Royce Lakes, so not sure what that crossing is like, but I did meet a fellow who had come up the trail, and obviously crossed it. Not sure how far down French Canyon you plan to go. By the way, if you are going up to Merriam Lake, the better trail starts on the south side of the creek, even though the topo map shows the trail on the north side.
ecat
Topix Acquainted

Post by ecat »

Thanks for the input Wandering Daisy. The pictures and narrative in you report a few days back were really helpful. I haven't carried spinning gear for many years now. I do carry several different spools for the 4 weight, and feel pretty comfortable fishing deep as I need to be with a flyrod. There are lots of ways to cover the water column. From fast, run and gun sort of way, or even slowing down, to a suspended stop at a preferred depth. You can even use wind to your favor. I can elaborate a bit more when I post a trip report! I really like the ice out conditions. I plan on choosing just a few areas, and spending time to fish them thoroughly. Its a little easier on the 56 year old frame! I'll pick a starting point and move around as I feel the urge! Thanks again for the tips.